Blue Iris on Homekit

AngryToast

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are the options for getting my BI cameras in to Homekit? I know many of you will say just downloads the iOS app - but my wife wants to be able to open up her home app on her phone or mac and see the cameras in there along w/ other things in the house to control.

I installed a HOOB server to take the videos streams directly from the cameras and serve it to the Home App - BUT HOOBS was causing a LOT of multicast traffic. So much so that it negatively impacted our Sonos system. I don't have a way to set up a VLAN so I am looking for a better solution.

Curious to hear what others have found.

Last edited:

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can do this using Home Assistant their HomeKit bridge integration. You can then pass almost any home assistant device/entity to HomeKit.

Might be a full-fat approach to just passing BI to HomeKit, but Home Assistant is fun to play with...

HHSquared

n3wb
Reaction score
You can do this using Home Assistant their HomeKit bridge integration. You can then pass almost any home assistant device/entity to HomeKit.

Might be a full-fat approach to just passing BI to HomeKit, but Home Assistant is fun to play with...
I’m running hoobs but can’t for the life of me figure out how to display the UI3 dashboard. Tried FFMPEG but didn’t work since I guess UI3 isn’t a technical RTSP stream. Did you manage to import a group or did you import each cameras RTSP stream individually?

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m running hoobs but can’t for the life of me figure out how to display the UI3 dashboard. Tried FFMPEG but didn’t work since I guess UI3 isn’t a technical RTSP stream. Did you manage to import a group or did you import each cameras RTSP stream individually?

Unsure of the specifics within Hoobs as I have never used it.

As you've said, UI3 as an interface cannot be a RTSP stream, but you can stream both individual cams and groups. Page 260 of the BI Manual.

Streaming a group will not have the same interactivity like you get with UI3, whereby clicking on a camera will go fullscreen etc. You can get an auto cycling group stream however:

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 13.13.25.png

On Home Assistant, I use an IFRAME to display UI3 within my dashboard (this is using the Home Assistant app rather than HomeKit).

I do not think it is possible to pass an IFRAME/UI3 into HomeKit.