Blue Iris Missing Motion Events

SuperDave

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two identical Hikvision bullet cams on each corner of my house that I monitor with Blue Iris, storing motion events on a local drive. It’s a fast computer with 32 gigs RAM and Blue Iris runs at around 12-15% CPU. Recently, one of the cameras stopped detecting lots of motion events. I can’t for the life of me figure out what may be the issue because it detects some events fine, others not at all.

Before this issue I’ve never even messed with the motion trigger settings, the defaults always worked fine. But since this started I’ve already decreased the two main settings I know to do, min object size and min contrast. On the problem cam they’re now set at 150 and 20 but I’ve moved them even much lower with no change. They were originally at 550 and 30 I think and all used to work fine.

For now, I also have the cams recording to a NAS using the cameras’ motion detection settings. All the motion events of the one camera which are missed in Blue Iris are captured fine on the NAS.

I have sent a support request in and Ken asked me to send him the BVR files and he would do some kind of motion detection check on them. I’ve sent him a file from each camera and listed a few examples of missed events but haven’t heard back from him yet.

Here’s an example. I’m fairly close to my neighborhood street so the cams pickup vehicles passing my house. One of the cams faces north and the other faces south so any car that passes I will see on both cams, approaching on one cam and going away on the other cam.

On a recent morning, between 9:48 and 10:00 am, the camera with no issues picked up five different vehicles passing my house. The other camera got three of those but totally missed the other two. And we’re talking about several seconds worth or recording time for the vehicle to go totally by the camera’s view, and the cam didn’t record anything!

Anyone have something similar happen and any advice for troubleshooting? As I’ve said, the cams are identical and had been working fine with same setup for quite a while now (probably 3-4 years) until just recently. Thanks!

Dave

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Without seeing video or screenshots of settings, it could be anything.

Likely culprits are too long of a make time and object detection turned on where an object has to move x number of pixels and the reset at 67%.

Decrease make time and turn off the reset and x number of pixels and you will probably get triggers.

SuperDave

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, thank you, I will give that a try. Yes, I had the object detection turned on to "object travels 60 pixels" and the "object size exceeds reset" at 67% as you stated. The make time is 1 second. As far as I know, all of these are the defaults as I don't remember picking those settings, plus those are the exact settings that are present on the other identical camera that DOES capture all the motion events. I had already tried reducing that object travels setting significantly to no avail.

At any rate, I've just unchecked object detection under advanced which apparently turns those off for now and will see if that makes any difference. I also reduced make time to .5 seconds instead of 1 second. I also just noticed the item "Camera's digital input or motion alarm" under sources. I'm assuming this means Blue Iris would use motion detection alerts from the camera itself, is this correct? If so, that should also solve my problem because in my setup having the cams record motion to my NAS, that camera always gets the events its missing on Blue Iris. Thanks so much for your input!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, those are the defaults and are used to knock out false triggers, and since you have the opposite going, turning them off will help. None of my cameras use that function as I have dialed in my field of views and motion to not need them.

Yes, using the "cameras digital input" will pull the motion from the camera. But you have to also go into the BI camera setting and check the pull ONVIF triggers box for it to work.

SuperDave

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, those are the defaults and are used to knock out false triggers, and since you have the opposite going, turning them off will help. None of my cameras use that function as I have dialed in my field of views and motion to not need them.

Yes, using the "cameras digital input" will pull the motion from the camera. But you have to also go into the BI camera setting and check the pull ONVIF triggers box for it to work.
Okay, good deal. Thanks again!