Blue Iris Log: Signal: restored

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've recently put many of my outdoor cameras on a Nanostation-5AC --- LiteAP-GPS wireless link and I've been trying to troubleshoot drop outs. The dropouts are not just on Blue Iris but are affecting all of the remotely connected devices.

Anyway, I am able to see in the log when the cameras regain signal with the "Signal: restored" log entry. What I am not seeing is any log entry when the cameras lose signal. It would be helpful to see when that is happening so I can troubleshoot things a bit more easily.

Is there a setting where I can turn on this type of logging?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If you open the log file ("Open file" at bottom of window) it will show you a little more information. I have a Wyze cam that drops off all the time. For it the pattern looks like:

1 6/1/2023 12:24:31.365 AM Wyze2 Signal: network retry
4 6/1/2023 12:24:34.041 AM Wyze2 Signal: restored

It takes a moment for BI to see the connection drop so it won't be exact but you should be able to use the retry entry as an approximation.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hadn't noticed that at the bottom. Of course I didn't have save to file checked. I do now. Thanks

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Assuming you have good LOS, what is the distance being covered?
Is there a Nanostation-5AC at each end?
Is the link set up as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge?
What are the current gain/sensitivity settings?
Have two Nanos transmitting about 160 Mbps of total data going to one LiteAP and they are both short distance one at 142 ft and other at 86 ft. I initially (first time with these) had power turned up way too high with signal coming in at -15 to -20 dBm. That was overpowering the LiteAP and causing errors. I have since dropped radio output power to minimum -4db on all devices and am doing much better, but signal is still -45 dBm or so. I might have to get up on the ladder and steer the radios a bit off kilter pointing up to reduce the signal further. Noise seems pretty reasonable with floor -94dB. I did have some interference from a close by AP that was using 5 Ghz channel fairly close to the radio's channel. Once I adjusted this, things got further improved.

So far I have had no drop outs after the above changes for several hours now. Keeping fingers crossed.

Also I made the mistake of not running shielded cable to the radios. Not sure if that is a cause of errors, but I might need to redo those cables. I have outdoor cat6 shielded cable already purchased if need be. Radios are attached to soffits of buildings, so not sure how exposed they are to interference.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All devices are AirMax, so channel width is set to 20/40 MHz. Looks like they are communicated at 40 Mhz width which is giving me a pretty good max throughput ceiling of around 300-350 Mbps, well above what I need.

Still no drop outs after another few hours. Maybe I don't need any further tweaking?

Last edited: