Blue Iris Camera Compatibility.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a spare Asus RT-N66U configured as an AP, is 802.11n spec. It serves 3 pet cams which are of low priority to me.
Ok thanks.

whoare365q

n3wb
Reaction score
You may have to remove power from the cam, count to 10 then re-apply power for it to incorporate the changes to its stream and account settings. If all info is correct, camera should be displayed.
pikashow.fyi
ppssppgold.one

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may have to remove power from the cam, count to 10 then re-apply power for it to incorporate the changes to its stream and account settings. If all info is correct, camera should be displayed.
To what post are you replying?
I think you're on the wrong thread.

BTW....Welcome to IPCT ! :cool:

railstop

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the RTSP stream goes to the cloud then back down to BI via your network as noted in the last sentence of my post #7 above...to test, I unplugged my fiber modem from the router and 'bang'...no more stream, the Tapo cam and BI were still on my LAN. Plugged back in, stream resumed.
Late to reply here
This is untrue, My C110 runs RTSP to my BI server on a VLAN with no internet connectivity just fine in 1080. I setup the cam online, once it was setup I removed it from the internet and it works. Of course I cannot connect through the app unless I disable the firewall rule, but in standalone mode it works without issue.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Late to reply here
This is untrue, My C110 runs RTSP to my BI server on a VLAN with no internet connectivity just fine in 1080. I setup the cam online, once it was setup I removed it from the internet and it works. Of course I cannot connect through the app unless I disable the firewall rule, but in standalone mode it works without issue.
That's good to know, but that's how mine worked....at least at the time.

Funny how this thread got revived, as I just received another Tapo C-110 on Friday 6/9 that I ordered because I wanted to have another go at it. I had sent the other one back to amazon in Dec. '22 for a refund.

Then early last week I got to thinking AGAIN how cool it would be to have an indoor, Blue Iris-compatible, non-cloud, 2K IP cam with 2-way audio for some non-critical monitoring like pets, water heaters, etc....all for $25. So I decided to try again and your post is encouraging.

I'm going to delete it, re-add and create a rule in this Asus and see how it goes. Thanks for the inspiration! :cool:

EDITED 6/14/23 @ 0735 CT: Let me correct my previous statement that the Tapo C-110 has to stream to the cloud. That is not correct, I missed a step. Once you set the cam up with the Tapo app, go to that camera's "Settings" (the gear icon at upper right) => "Advanced Settings" => "Device Account". Create a username for the cam and a password and save it, then enter those EXACT credentials into Blue Iris for that cam.

I now have a $25 indoor, 1080p/2K wireless cam, with a mic (speaker AND mic works in the Tapo app for 2-way talk) , SD card storage and IR that streams RTSPwith audio to Blue Iris, no cloud or P2P involved. The 5VDC USB wall power supply is UL-listed as well. I can see this little guy in my garage's utility closet, staring at the status LEDs on my fiber modem or watching the status LEDs on my water heater...both non-critical roles but very convenient, IMO....for $25!

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I found what I think is a practical use for my $25 wireless indoor cam that will stream, with no cloud, via RTSP to Blue Iris.

I haven't had any trouble with my 1GB fiber since it was installed Sept. of '22, maybe this will insure that record...like taking that flashlight with you so you won't need it, umbrella so it won't rain...you get it. But since I got this TP-LINK Tapo C-110 and got it streaming to BI I didn't really know what to do with it. I already have 3 non-critical wireless cams watching the dogs (Amcrest IP2M-841's) and then this came to me.

I mounted it on the backboard for the fiber modem and router in the utility closet where the water heater, electrical panel and the APC UPS for the backboard are (out of frame). I'm having it look at the status LED's on the Adtran ONT. I made an overlay in BI to help visually decode the status LED's taken from an Adran spec PDF image so it's a bit fuzzy but at least it matches the fuzzy panel of the ONT, as the Tapo is a little too close but that's OK with me....I can tell if the LED is GREEN or RED and ON, OFF or FLASHING which is the whole point.

Since the UPS powers the entire backboard, including an out of frame TP-LINK wireless router and a TP-LINK Ethernet to fiber media converter, I can check status remotely, as we get frequent power outage due to local storms.

Now if I can just find a better image of the LED status indicators!

ONT-Cam_1_sm.jpg ONT-Cam_062023.jpg

View attachment ONT-cam.mp4

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@TonyR Thanks for the great idea on usage of this camera. I need one pointing at all hardware in my closet to help my wife troubleshoot when I'm away from the house HAHAHA

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR Thanks for the great idea on usage of this camera. I need one pointing at all hardware in my closet to help my wife troubleshoot when I'm away from the house HAHAHA
Barely a week later, on 6/25/23, the little closet cam had it's first job:

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I found what I think is a practical use for my $25 wireless indoor cam that will stream, with no cloud, via RTSP to Blue Iris.
Now if I can just find a better image of the LED status indicators!

View attachment 165886
You may find this interesting and a possible solution to image improvement at closer than typical range -- provided the Tapos use the common M12 lenses and can be popped apart fairly easily without destroying the housing and bezel. I have a Wyze Cam awaiting the mod just to see how practical it can actually be. I've already done a lens swap and a couple external antenna jobs which were all easy to do with the Wyze Cams. I can't imagine the Tapos being anything but a snap together shell around a similar frame to the Wyze design. Anyway, I ran across this some time ago and it sorta fits the theme of this thread. Pretty slick setup and your LED blur reminded me of it. Anyone up for a $20 Tapo ONVIF/RTSP 2K vari-focal mini-cam project?

Last edited:

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Curiosity got the best of me and I ended up buying a C110 to try as a dedicated monitor for the flu temp on my add-on wood burning furnace. Not quite ready for prime time using digital zoom from 6 feet away but will still serve the purpose. I may try more of an overhead view at less distance and see how that plays. But for 20 bucks? Hell ya.

And ONVIF it is, though the setup seemed a little different than described here as it wasn't going to do anything until registered -- presumably for the minimal purpose of establishing private ownership to honor its two year warranty if necessary. Other than that it all basically went as described with only a slight learning curve to the app which is pretty damned clean and intuitive overall.

Got it up in BI with no hassle. Same with VLC, tinyCam, ONVIF Device Manager and my Amcrest NVRs which recognized the config and provided control over most adjustable parameters including VBR. The main thing missing aside from I-frame adjustment was any type of audio settings which still may be there somewhere in the NVR if I dig around enough. All in all though, pretty cool.

'Preciate all the info provided here. Streamlined what could otherwise have resulted in just sending it back. Even snagged a couple Tapo smart plugs super cheap while I was at it. How have I lived without those things? LOL

pdet

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello -- I've added a couple of TP-Link Tapo cameras (C120 and C310) to BI using the instructions here. They work nicely! Has anyone been able to use ONVIF triggering using the internal AI detection of the cameras? It seems to do a real good job identifying people and cars, so was hoping I could use that as a trigger into BI.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello -- I've added a couple of TP-Link Tapo cameras (C120 and C310) to BI using the instructions here. They work nicely! Has anyone been able to use ONVIF triggering using the internal AI detection of the cameras? It seems to do a real good job identifying people and cars, so was hoping I could use that as a trigger into BI.
FWIW, of the 2 you mentioned, only the C-310 is specified as being ONVIF compliant in TP-LINK's documentation here, not the C-120.
And no, since I have only the C-110 I have not looked at the C-310's ONVIF events, etc.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know how relevant this analysis may be, but kickin' the tires of the C-110 with ONVIF Device Manager shows it being equipped with version 20.06 which looks to be circa 2020 or thereabouts. If so, there's some BI motion/trigger/etc integration capability there -- probably with a fair amount of dickin' around, but certainly appears to at least be a possibility. May be fun to see what (if anything) it'll actually do.

I would imagine the C-120 could possibly have similar capabilities. Easy enough to check for turds and grins.

AlwaysSomething

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know how relevant this analysis may be, but kickin' the tires of the C-110 with ONVIF Device Manager shows it being equipped with version 20.06 which looks to be circa 2020 or thereabouts. If so, there's some BI motion/trigger/etc integration capability there -- probably with a fair amount of dickin' around, but certainly appears to at least be a possibility. May be fun to see what (if anything) it'll actually do.

I would imagine the C-120 could possibly have similar capabilities. Easy enough to check for turds and grins.
Just curious, how did you connect to the C-110 in ONVIF Device Manager? What url did you use? Did you use the Device Account or app account as the credentials?

Thanks.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you use the Device Account or app account as the credentials?

Thanks.
Device account on port 2020
BTW, I've been meaning to post again here for awhile after discovering the firmware will only allow two simultaneous connections. I'm running it in Blue Iris, on a Dahua NVR, VLC, TinyCam, and the app. Had intermittent issues with all of em if more than two requested a stream.

Was driving me nuts until I stumbled across it as a 'feature' in one of the ads. "Mom and Dad can both watch baby or pet at the same time!"

I put two and two together and came up with..., uhhh..., two. LOL