Blue Iris App

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
After much struggling I've finally got my BI App to work. It seems I have to run the WIreguard App to establish the connection and then the BI App to connect to the BI Server. Somewhat of a pain. Why they don't make for settings in the BI APp to alow it to do both, I don't know.

Anyway, to the point:

Do I need to permanently run the BI App on my phone to receive notifications or is there any background setting as on the PC for BI that allows it to run without having to have the window up?

Obvsiously on a phone if the BI Appneeds to be foreground running, you can't do anything else without 1st stopping it which then loses your connection and stops you getting alerts.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have an Android based phone you could create a routine that will connect to your VPN then fire up BI. (If you Google there are many examples of routines and task schedulers) As for the BI app you will still get notification with BI closed as it runs in the background, unless again with Android you have set it to deep sleep. If the VPN is too much hassle you could always port forward your BI server then connect via your public facing IP or DDNS name (no need for a VPN client) this comes with a risk, but we are all adults and I'm not going to tell you that port forwarding is dangerous, it your risk you have way up the pros and cons, the cons out way the pros but like I said your choice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After much struggling I've finally got my BI App to work. It seems I have to run the WIreguard App to establish the connection and then the BI App to connect to the BI Server. Somewhat of a pain. Why they don't make for settings in the BI APp to alow it to do both, I don't know.

Anyway, to the point:

Do I need to permanently run the BI App on my phone to receive notifications or is there any background setting as on the PC for BI that allows it to run without having to have the window up?

Obvsiously on a phone if the BI Appneeds to be foreground running, you can't do anything else without 1st stopping it which then loses your connection and stops you getting alerts.
How do you expect the BI app to run wireguard? You can leave wireguard on all the time if you wish.
The bi app will receive notifications in the background.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need the app running in order to get push notifications.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
How do you expect the BI app to run wireguard? You can leave wireguard on all the time if you wish.
Wireguard runs on the router as you know. It's just a matter of the BI App logging in, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to have the fields or protocols to do this. Would be better than having to run 2 apps, 1 to connect and another to access BI. As most router based VPN's seem to have very similar identification / log in procedures, it would seem reasonable to write an app that could accommodate the router login as well as the BI login. If a universal solution couldn't be found using adaptive fields, maybe a set of fields for the most popular VPN's in use so in the BI App, you select login client in the settings and then OpenVPN, Wireguard etc. Maybe I'm just expecting too much though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wireguard runs on the router as you know. It's just a matter of the BI App logging in, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to have the fields or protocols to do this. Would be better than having to run 2 apps, 1 to connect and another to access BI. As most router based VPN's seem to have very similar identification / log in procedures, it would seem reasonable to write an app that could accommodate the router login as well as the BI login. If a universal solution couldn't be found using adaptive fields, maybe a set of fields for the most popular VPN's in use so in the BI App, you select login client in the settings and then OpenVPN, Wireguard etc. Maybe I'm just expecting too much though.
Its not about the fields. Its not just a matter of logging in. Wireguard requires a client to run on the remote device.
You are asking an app developer to integrate a wireguard client. Even if their client is open source it would require a great deal of work. What about those who use openvpn, zerotier, tailscale etc? should those be included as well. The app would be huge and the amount of work insane. I just leave zerotier on 24/7. Not need to turn anything on or off. You can do the same with wireguard.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm on limited phone data. It might be I have to upgrade to unlimited data as I dare say the footage if logged in will burn data. Currently I have 250mb a month.

One of my biggest concerns was whether I'd get alerts with the BI App in the background as when you click on it you are required to connect, so I wasn't sure if it was still connected and receiving alerts when "closed".

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on limited phone data. It might be I have to upgrade to unlimited data as I dare say the footage if logged in will burn data. Currently I have 250mb a month.

One of my biggest concerns was whether I'd get alerts with the BI App in the background as when you click on you are required to connect, so I wasn't sure if it was still connected and receiving alerts when "closed".
Yes you would receive alerts when closed. However, if you are using vpn and not currently connected then you will not see the images as the app must connect back to the server to get the alert image. You can use pushover to avoid this, or leave the vpn connected.