Blue Iris App - doesnt work unless on home wifi

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if i am on home wifi BI works good
as soon as i step outside of house and i am on LTE off of wifi it will no longer connected to BI

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless you open ports (port forwarding) on your home network router, you will be unable to reach the BI server. This is not the recommended method for remote access, as it leaves your home network unsecure and susceptible to nefarious activities by people/things on the Internet.

When out-n-about on LTE, best method is to establish a VPN connection to your home network in order to access BI.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok i will look into this tonight.
out of curiosity if i have an NVR at work and i am viewing it via app does that mean its unsecure?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok i will look into this tonight.
out of curiosity if i have an NVR at work and i am viewing it via app does that mean its unsecure?
It's likely using P2P (app scanned a QR code, uses a cloud) which can have its own security issues.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so i had cyber ghost VPN, unfort. my router doesnt have it, just wondering if i can get some quick help, how do i know my network is "secure", im just trying to make the cameras connectable once i leave house

edit

when i turn on the VPN, and i go to BI setting -> web sever, the remote external WAN/internet address changes, is that sufficient or do i have to do something with the local internal as well?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
so i had cyber ghost VPN, unfort. my router doesnt have it, just wondering if i can get some quick help, how do i know my network is "secure", im just trying to make the cameras connectable once i leave house

edit

when i turn on the VPN, and i go to BI setting -> web sever, the remote external WAN/internet address changes, is that sufficient or do i have to do something with the local internal as well?
cyberghost is not making you more secure its just taking your money....
You want to setup a VPN into your network. Lots of threads about it. Another easier and secure option is using zero-tier or tailscale. There are threads on both of these as well.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah just found that out from wittaj lol, time to get rid of that shit,
is there a thread on openVPN?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I provided the write up and link in your other thread:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Tailscale has been working when zerotier stopped on me

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
How did Zerotier stop working? I have been using it and it seems to work pretty good.
Updated and stopped.. got tired of messing with it. It was great when I had it working. Tailscale gets the job done

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so just wanted to let you know guys
i did it with zerotier following the youtube video below

holy shit it was so easy.. thank you for your help guys , this shit should be a sticky

EDIT:: i did have two questions, i think the app is different on android then apple
should this be checked

Route all traffic through Zerotier. requires external configuration of the network
- is it the same as the enable default route on apple app ?

and the 4 things he should have checked when you install it is correct right ?
- the 4 "allow" things

EDIT #2:: i spoke too soon lol, works great on my samsung phone, doesnt work on the iphone with exact same settings ------ SOLVED - had to reset blue iris now works great on both phones

Last edited:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Zerotier looks like a simple solution. I wonder how setting up the BI to connect to the new network how that would impact other devices in the home which use BI, such as HomeSeer, etc? They all need the local LAN address to connect.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
having a weird issue, something changed in network or something
so everything was working fine
now very weird...

when at home - wifi enabled - blue iris works - pushes notification and i can view cameras
when at home - wifi disabled - blue iris works - pushes notification and i can view cameras
when out and about - wifi enabled or disabled - blue iris HALF works - pushes notifications but i CANNOT view the cameras, when i try it keeps "retrying"

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
having a weird issue, something changed in network or something
so everything was working fine
now very weird...

when at home - wifi enabled - blue iris works - pushes notification and i can view cameras
when at home - wifi disabled - blue iris works - pushes notification and i can view cameras
when out and about - wifi enabled or disabled - blue iris HALF works - pushes notifications but i CANNOT view the cameras, when i try it keeps "retrying"
When you are at home and when you are out and about, and when the wifi on your phone is turned off, there is a difference?

And are the LAN and WAN addresses the same? This would require the use of a VPN client.