Blue Iris and Verizons 5G home internet- Static WAN IP

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello ya'll!

So I went with Verizon's home internet 5G for my houseboat. 90% of the time its at the dock. Only a couple times a year do I take it out on the lake.
the problem I'm running into is that it keeps changing it WAN IP address. Since I'm about 2.5 hour drive away, I'm not sure if it is doing it because of a power failure or its just changing on its own.

It was $35 per month for 3 years. I'm running it in passthru mode to my ASUS RT-AX82U (AX5400) Dual Band WiFi 6 router. Verizon has about 3 or 4 slightly different models of their big White Cube (Internet Gateway-Titan) for 5G internet. The version I have is the ARC-XCI55AX, Verizon Internet Gateway (ARC-XCI55AX) - Support Overview. I can use Teamviewer to login remotely to the server on the boat. But I have to go into Webserver, hit refresh and get the new WAN IP adress to see the cameras.

Any suggestions?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Run some DDNS? Not sure how Verizon's 5G Internet service works but it sounds like you're getting a public IP so that should work. Then you'd just access it using "whatever.ddns.net" (or other DDNS host.service you choose) vs using the IP.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most ISP's refresh your WAN IP at certain intervals. Call and ask about a static WAN IP. I doubt they offer it but worth a call.
I did ask.. they said no to a static WAN IP. Not sure why its so hard for them to do it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ipcamtalk offers a free dynamic dns service if you are looking for one.

There are plenty of other alternatives.
1. Use IPv6 instead of IPv4.
2. Use a Zerotier network (requires a client app).
3. Set up a Cloudflare tunnel. This will get you inbound IPv4 access even with an internet service that doesn't give you a public IPv4 address, but it is more complex to set up and you need to own a domain, make it use Cloudflare's DNS nameservers, etc.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ipcamtalk offers a free dynamic dns service if you are looking for one.

There are plenty of other alternatives.
1. Use IPv6 instead of IPv4.
2. Use a Zerotier network (requires a client app).
3. Set up a Cloudflare tunnel. This will get you inbound IPv4 access even with an internet service that doesn't give you a public IPv4 address, but it is more complex to set up and you need to own a domain, make it use Cloudflare's DNS nameservers, etc.

So I have to admit, I've never setup DDNS or IPv6 before.
Is one simpler than the other?
I'm including screen shots from my Asus router.
Also, after this is setup, do I need to make changes inside the Blue Iris software on the server?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have to admit, I've never setup DDNS or IPv6 before.
Is one simpler than the other?
I'm including screen shots from my Asus router.
Also, after this is setup, do I need to make changes inside the Blue Iris software on the server?
I don't know about IPv6 but setting up DDNS on your router, which shows the DDNS setup page on page 82 of its manual here, is VERY simple.

Create an account with the DDNS provider, then create a host name (such as "michaeljames.ipctddns.com" ) and password, put that info into your router's DDNS setup (server name, host name and password) and boom!......you're done! :cool:

If and when the WAN IP that the router "sees" changes, the router will update that info on the DDNS server's records of the new WAN IP. When a device attempts to access that host name the DDNS server will provide the latest WAN IP.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
DDNS is definitely much easier than understanding IPv6. It’s relatively simple.

Think of it kind of like the contacts on your phone. Instead of ‘dialing’ by number, you’re using a name. As Tony explained, the DDNS service manages however the number may change and points queries for that name to the current IP. You just continue to use the same host name.

Same as how you access this site at ipcamtalk.com instead of using an IP. DNS servers point you to the correct IP. The difference being the added D in DDNS which is for Dynamic. i.e., it updates dynamically as the IP changes.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, some Im confused.
1) When I went to Ipcamtalk offers a free dynamic dns service ... It never asks for a password. It gives an API key.
2) On the Asus end:
a) You have to pick a server from the pull down menu. The manual says you have other options but from the screenshot below, you only have ones from the server list.
b) If I just copy and paste the Ipcamtalk, I get an error.

Attachments

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So here are the settings I used. (See attached) is this correct?
For SERVER: There was also an option for the server to be www.DYNDNS.ORG (Static). I used www.DYNDNS.ORG (Custom)
For HOST name: I used what ipcamtalk DDNS gave me.
For User name/Email: I used the email I have on the ipcamtalk forum
For Password or DDNS key: I used the key that ipcamtalk DDNS (system generated) gave me.

I am able to access my cameras using michaeljames.ipctddns.com .... but.. I had to add the :81 after that.

next questions..
1) Do i need to go into Blue iris and change the Web Server, Remote, External (WAN/Internet) access from the WAN IP address (72.xx.xx.xx:81) to the michaeljames.ipctddns.com:81?
2) Do I need to unclick "Refesh external IP address at startup and every 30 minutes"? or does that matter?

Attachments

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know about IPv6 but setting up DDNS on your router, which shows the DDNS setup page on page 82 of its manual here, is VERY simple.

Create an account with the DDNS provider, then create a host name (such as "michaeljames.ipctddns.com" ) and password, put that info into your router's DDNS setup (server name, host name and password) and boom!......you're done! :cool:

If and when the WAN IP that the router "sees" changes, the router will update that info on the DDNS server's records of the new WAN IP. When a device attempts to access that host name the DDNS server will provide the latest WAN IP.
So Im not sure what I did wrong here. I had everything setup. It was working until Verizon assined a new WANIP address. Screenshots attached shows what I put in.
I put the DDNS name (michaelJamesLVK.ipctddns.com) in the Blue Iris Android Google app and I could see the cameras and I could see them remotely from the PC interface. ***But as soon as I unplugged the Verizon 5G home internet box and Verizon assigned the new WAN IP address, I couldnt see the cameras any longer. I looked inside the BI5 and it showed under Web Server, Remote, WAN / Internet Access, it had the new IP address listed. "Refresh external IP at startup" is clicked on. (not sure if that has antyhing to do with this).

When I go into IP Cam Talk DDNS | IP Cam Talk and click on "Recent IP", "View All", it has the old WAN IP address listed and it gives a message that "IP is unchanged".
It doesnt have the new WAN IP address that should be associated with michaelJamesLVK.ipctddns.com.

I couldnt find a video that showed me step by step how to setup IP Cam Talk DDNS and/or one specifically on how to do this with an Asus router.

Attachments

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So in order to get the DDNS to show the new WAN IP, I have to manually go into ipcamtalk DDNS, hit Update, Use current IP address, then it shows the new IP Address. I thought this was supposed to happen automatically?

I did not sign up for any of the paid plans. Just the free one.

Attachments

Last edited:

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From IP Cam Talk DDNS:

"Blue Iris Tools provides automated DDNS updates and can be used to update your DDNS hostnames regardless if you use Blue Iris."
I've never downloaded or worked with Blue Iris Tools...
So I need to download BlueIris tools to the PC that has Blue Iris 5 installed on?
What do I need to configure inside BI Tools in order for it to update the DDNS ?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've not used it so not sure what's involved.

Since you have the Asus router, it already has built-in clients for various other DDNS services. Could just use that and then not need to run anything else.