Blue Iris and Plex on the Same server

bhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
The best plex server is simply going on Craigslist and search for Mac mini. the oldest mac mini can be had for 50 or 100 bucks and can handle plex easy. your network on the other hand I can't speak for cause plex when viewing remotely can tax the network pretty good
Actually when talking about plex and transcoding full HD streams, plex has given suggested cpu specs. So while saying any old mac mini can handle plex is technically correct, it depends on what you are using plex for. If you are placing 1080p blurays on your server and want the ability for simultaneous people to be able to stream outside your network, that old mac mini will not be able to handle the load. Plex suggest a passmark score of 2000 for each HD stream to transcode.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually when talking about plex and transcoding full HD streams, plex has given suggested cpu specs. So while saying any old mac mini can handle plex is technically correct, it depends on what you are using plex for. If you are placing 1080p blurays on your server and want the ability for simultaneous people to be able to stream outside your network, that old mac mini will not be able to handle the load. Plex suggest a passmark score of 2000 for each HD stream to transcode.
My old mac mini mid 2009 has no issue running 1080p with multiple streams at once with transcoding.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is actually transcoding? Any streaming that does not require transcoding will use minimal CPU.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you sure it is actually transcoding? Any streaming that does not require transcoding will use minimal CPU.

yes I'm sure and since your in doubt all my streaming is outside my network to various players rokus, tablets, laptops

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting considering the 1st picture you posted is running 15 less process 120 to be exact while the second post is running 135 so what process did you shut down in the first one
Yeah, I didn't understand why there was 15 less processes when running PLEX, BI and the game at the same time compared to just running the game by itself. I had closed out several programs in the system tray including Malwarebytes, TeamViewer, DropBox and Skype, but they were closed during both tests.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So does anyone here know of a plex channel for blue iris? I think it'd be awesome to occasionally pull up all my cameras on my main TV, and/or leave it on all the time :)

I use plexconnect from my apple TV3 if that matters...

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From another thread:
Right now my main desktop has an i7 4770 with 16GB of RAM. OS is on a SSD, data disk is a WD RED. Windows 7 64 bit.
Running Blue Iris 4, with 10 cameras.
5 Hikvision 2032s at 720p 10 fps. 2 Trendnet 110s 1 Dlink 930 an old 4xem POE camera all at 640x480 if I remember correctly, and 1 Microsoft Lifecam USB webcam at 720p.

All are doing motion detect, direct to disk. Blue Iris sits around 10-15% CPU. Computer also runs as a Plex server, and runs Sickbeard SABNZB downloading TV shows a few times a week. I also use Lightroom and Photoshop on this computer, and rarely notice any issues with performance.

Now I am only running 720p on most of my cameras, but I have since cranked up to 1080p on 2 and noticed no difference.
I only have HD content on my Plex server, but have only done 2 simultaneous streams at once, but certainly didn't notice any issues.
I have a VM on my Hyper-V server ready to take over Plex, or anything else should there be an issue, but have never needed it.