Blue Iris and Google home hub

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Working from google home end to the cameras... The process for me is this.

Tell Google home hub (or any google home) to open a camera. Ifttt is triggered (I setup google assistant as a trigger aka "this" in ifttt) which then sends a webhook. I have autoremote and tasker installed on my Android box (full android rather than Android TV, but this should work on Android TV which your shields are but I've stayed away from android TV for automation as it's not proper android). Autoremote gets the webhook (webhook is setup to send the message to the address autoremote has for me on the box) which then triggers a task in tasker. Tasker then uses autocast plugin to initiate the streaming between the Google home hub and the blue iris server.

Works well and has plenty of flexibility plus utilises existing cameras and far more economical...

But if this sounds daunting as you may not have used ifttt, tasker, autoremote and autocast) then yes the ones that work with Google home hub directly might be a better choice for you.

Last edited:

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That helps. Used tasker for years. Haven't used autoinput or autocast but probably no different than other plugins I've used. Thanks. Yeah, wouldn't want to use my shield for this. Would be best with a dedicated android device. Now I understand how you are using it. Thanks.

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry I meant autoremote (another plugin) not autoinput. I'll correct it above

Mac13

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone find a simpler solution for this? Pete's sounds pretty involved and convoluted lol

ksnax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I hate relying on IFTTT for anything. Really hoping an answer or solution is out there to make use of cameras I already own. It seems silly that I would have to duplicate a camera or display to make this work without having to ping pong it through a webhook.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate relying on IFTTT for anything. Really hoping an answer or solution is out there to make use of cameras I already own. It seems silly that I would have to duplicate a camera or display to make this work without having to ping pong it through a webhook.
Perhaps you should contact google and complain.

ksnax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Already done. I don't see this as a BI platform issue by any means. Hoping for work-arounds . .

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually had success with getting this to work on both Home Assistant and Homeseer at one point. I don't remember the steps for Home Assistant but there was enough information floating around online if you search.

Homeseer has a Chromecast plugin that allows you to cast various things to Google devices. It's a little bit of work if you have specific needs but works mostly. There are little hiccups here and there and Homeseer is going through a major beta release at the moment that broke it. Hope for things to work again one day.

In a nutshell, you'll need a home automation hub of some sort that can cast to a chromecast device (after all hub is technicaly a chromecast). You can create events or voice commands that triggers the cast. You'd want to have it cast the stream of which ever camera you want to see. IE: http :/SERVER IP: PORT NUMBER/mjpg/camera shortname so in my case, an example would be http :/office:81/mjpg/SideGate

I don't have a recording of it casting my camera feeds but here's an example of it casting my SolarEdge monitoring page. In the video, I'm relying on IFTTT so I can issue custom commands. But you got the idea

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's just about the feed, as far as i know the google hub can display youtube channels, wouldn't it be possible to just create a youtube stream and have that display on the google hub ?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's just about the feed, as far as i know the google hub can display youtube channels, wouldn't it be possible to just create a youtube stream and have that display on the google hub ?
Not sure why you'd want to send your stream outside your lan and back in for when everything can be done locally.

ksnax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure why you'd want to send your stream outside your lan and back in for when everything can be done locally.
Nevertheless, it does appear to work, but I can't think of any easy way to automate it. I set up a stream using OBS Studio and it is working to bounce it back to my hub, but it's really not practical.