Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes figured, but what steps can I do to get to camera buffering to RAM?

Looked at the General info on BI, it says:
frame rape 8 fps
bit rate 742 kB/s

what am I seeing here, seems off, is this a setting somewhere or due to reolink still not set correctly?
How do you know its not? like i said, makes no difference anyway..
frame rates and bitrate has nothing to do with buffering...why do you think its off?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do you know its not? like i said, makes no difference anyway..
frame rates and bitrate has nothing to do with buffering...why do you think its off?
It seems low compared to fps others are mentioning, not really sure.

I do not know if it is and why I was wondering if there was a 'setting' or way to tell.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems low compared to fps others are mentioning, not really sure.

I do not know if it is and why I was wondering if there was a 'setting' or way to tell.
fps will depend on what the camera is sending and what the computer is able to receive...

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
fps will depend on what the camera is sending and what the computer is able to receive...
Ok, what causes the vast changes, I go from 30fps to 8fps. All at 1000-1045 kB/s, I wonder what am I missing? A yellow explanation point is next to the FPS in BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, what causes the vast changes, I go from 30fps to 8fps. All at 1000-1045 kB/s, I wonder what am I missing? A yellow explanation point is next to the FPS in BI.
Crappy cameras or crappy connection... Blue Iris does not control frame rates

gman350

n3wb
Reaction score
The fps on my cameras changes like that when it gets dark. I can't recall seeing a yellow exclamation point next to the fps though.

When I initially set up my cameras they were all wifi. I got lots of "no signal" and the little yellow ball status. I ended up hardwiring them all, which was the plan anyway. The wifi just made initial setup and camera locations easier.

Edited to add: I just watched mine as they transitioned from day to night. The yellow ball exclamation point does come on while they are transitioning. But it goes off when it gets to full dark mode.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Recently, when reviewing recorded video, CPU usage for BI climbs to ~90+%, and will stay there, even after I've stopped watching recorded video, and gone back to live viewing. To be more specific, I'm reviewing ALL 8 cameras, using the "timeline playback" feature, simultaneously.

Config is:

HP ProDesk G1 i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD OS drive, 4TB WD Purple for storage, Win10x64.
BI version 4.6.6.1 (it just updated today, but this has been happening for several weeks/on different versions).
8 cameras (7 Trendnet POE, 1 Amcrest WiFi).
All cameras are configured the same - continuous recording, with motion detection, BI video format, direct to disk, receive buffer is set @ 30MB. Video is set for 8 hours/4GB files, overlay for date/time enabled, but since there's no encoding, as I recall, that shouldn't matter.

Once CPU usage climbs to ~90+%, it will NOT return to normal (in my setup, that's ~35%) unless I close BI, then stop/restart the BI service.

More than likely, I don't have something configured correctly, but curious to know if anyone is seeing the same issue.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe off-topic, but I have 3 BI machines now, I keep losing the camera, it says "socket error: 10053" - do I have to change the bitrate or something to fix this? When I only run 1 BI machine it doesn't drop, maybe once or twice for a few seconds but with 3 machines it drops and stays that way even after shutting off the machines, it might fix itself after 10-15 minutes.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Recently, when reviewing recorded video, CPU usage for BI climbs to ~90+%, and will stay there, even after I've stopped watching recorded video, and gone back to live viewing. To be more specific, I'm reviewing ALL 8 cameras, using the "timeline playback" feature, simultaneously.

Config is:

HP ProDesk G1 i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD OS drive, 4TB WD Purple for storage, Win10x64.
BI version 4.6.6.1 (it just updated today, but this has been happening for several weeks/on different versions).
8 cameras (7 Trendnet POE, 1 Amcrest WiFi).
All cameras are configured the same - continuous recording, with motion detection, BI video format, direct to disk, receive buffer is set @ 30MB. Video is set for 8 hours/4GB files, overlay for date/time enabled, but since there's no encoding, as I recall, that shouldn't matter.

Once CPU usage climbs to ~90+%, it will NOT return to normal (in my setup, that's ~35%) unless I close BI, then stop/restart the BI service.

More than likely, I don't have something configured correctly, but curious to know if anyone is seeing the same issue.
See this: CPU usage creeping up slowly

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe off-topic, but I have 3 BI machines now, I keep losing the camera, it says "socket error: 10053" - do I have to change the bitrate or something to fix this? When I only run 1 BI machine it doesn't drop, maybe once or twice for a few seconds but with 3 machines it drops and stays that way even after shutting off the machines, it might fix itself after 10-15 minutes.
More info needed, are all 3 BI systems using video from the same cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes, but I cannot change bitrate from the camera, it is the crumby reolinks.
Are you streaming to three machines from a single camera? If so more than likely the camera is choking when it's trying to stream to multiple devices simultaneously...

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you streaming to three machines from a single camera? If so more than likely the camera is choking when it's trying to stream to multiple devices simultaneously...
yes, but I do that now with the reolink software on 2 machines, BI on 1... Never an issue. Also have it on the NVR streaming but I don't think that matters. But once I installed BI on 2 other machines it kept going out so i thought maybe BI has a setting to limit bitrates or something so other cameras don't get as much and maybe it won't drop.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes, but I do that now with the reolink software on 2 machines, BI on 1... Never an issue. Also have it on the NVR streaming but I don't think that matters. But once I installed BI on 2 other machines it kept going out so i thought maybe BI has a setting to limit bitrates or something so other cameras don't get as much and maybe it won't drop.
reolink software uses different protocols..you can stream from one bi machine to the other...why do you need 3 machines?
you can also use multicast if the camera supports it

Reaction score
Based on the info in that thread, it doesn't appear to match what I'm seeing. I can leave the BI service running for days, and have the BI viewer open on the machine, also for days, and not have CPU usage creep. It's only when I review recorded video of ALL the cameras, simultaneously via the "timeline playback" feature does the CPU go to ~90+%.

For giggles, I tried the Intel video driver change, and it hosed things - the display went completely blank. I had to reboot the machine to get it to come back. Win10 installed a "Microsoft basic display driver", which is not what was running prior to attempting the driver update. IIRC, it showed an Intel 4600, but I'm not certain. Currently working to get it put back together.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the info in that thread, it doesn't appear to match what I'm seeing. I can leave the BI service running for days, and have the BI viewer open on the machine, also for days, and not have CPU usage creep. It's only when I review recorded video of ALL the cameras, simultaneously via the "timeline playback" feature does the CPU go to ~90+%.

For giggles, I tried the Intel video driver change, and it hosed things - the display went completely blank. I had to reboot the machine to get it to come back. Win10 installed a "Microsoft basic display driver", which is not what was running prior to attempting the driver update. IIRC, it showed an Intel 4600, but I'm not certain. Currently working to get it put back together.
what is your load before playing back? are you logging in remotely via something like teamviewer or are you local?

Reaction score
The adapter in the BI machine shows as an Intel HD Graphics 4600.

what is your load before playing back? are you logging in remotely via something like teamviewer or are you local?
BI CPU load before playback, according to Task Manager, is ~30-35%. RAM is ~3GB. When doing the timeline playback, I do it at the console of BI machine, not via RDP or TeamViewer.

In a test just now, all I did was double-click on the timeline back to ~3PM PT today, started playing video @ 8x, and let it run for a few minutes. As soon as it started to show recorded video (again, of ALL 8 cameras), the CPU went to ~90% for BI, and stayed there. After ~3-4 minutes of watching video @ 8x, I hit the "pause" button, but the CPU is still pegged @ ~80% for BI. Hitting "ESC" to go back to live video doesn't resolve the high CPU usage.

Only a service stop/restart will resolve it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The adapter in the BI machine shows as an Intel HD Graphics 4600.

BI CPU load before playback, according to Task Manager, is ~30-35%. RAM is ~3GB. When doing the timeline playback, I do it at the console of BI machine, not via RDP or TeamViewer.

In a test just now, all I did was double-click on the timeline back to ~3PM PT today, started playing video @ 8x, and let it run for a few minutes. As soon as it started to show recorded video (again, of ALL 8 cameras), the CPU went to ~90% for BI, and stayed there. After ~3-4 minutes of watching video @ 8x, I hit the "pause" button, but the CPU is still pegged @ ~80% for BI. Hitting "ESC" to go back to live video doesn't resolve the high CPU usage.

Only a service stop/restart will resolve it.
that is abnormal...I would email support...try enabling HA for playback..select also BVR in the camera properties video tab..