Blue iris all of a sudden crashing, can’t get in to adjust

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Blue Iris 5.2.xx has been amazing for me. It has worked hiccup free for many years.

but this morning blue Iris is in a crashing loop. I have restarted the computer several times and all cameras. But every time you open the app on the computer, the app freezes and windows asked me if I want to end the task. On the phone app, it connects shows all cameras, except for one is black and then the server crashes. It also does this on the webgui.
I feel like I’m stuck because I cannot get into the desktop app to adjust or even look at the logs because it crashes before I get to it.

Any ideas on what I can do next? I swear there was nothing on my side that changed. There could’ve been a Windows update overnight that sneaked in but I’ve done everything I can to suppress those. They seem to be relentless though.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's possible that the hard drive is failing or has failed. You've had that up and running a while.
Can you access the hard drive with explorer?

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would look at Task Manager and see what is happening with CPU and memory and disc utilization first. If that looks OK with BI not running, then try opening other programs and see what is happening. Then open BI and see what happens.

I agree sounds like HDD is going out. Perhaps do a disc check and defragmentation.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps you can start windows in Safe mode. it's a little different from model to model and OS to OS....but you can google " safe mode" for your brand of PC and OS....try the options in there....

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, I tested the HD and SSD and it checked out fine. I actually did replace it last year bc the SSD failed on me after many years.

I tried safe mode too.

I had some odd hunch that one camera was causing it. Bc one of the feeds was black even though I can enter the Dahua camera gui fine via browser. Well right as BI app opened I hit disable to that camera and it fixed all the crashes. It took a few tries to get enough time to go hit that. Now I have to figure out why one camera feed caused all that issues especially since I did not change any settings. I think I’ll do a factory reset on the camera and copied the settings from another camera that’s working well.

If anyone else or is this thread down the road, this was SOLVED by removing one of the buggy cameras that is crashing the entire Blue Iris app. But also diagnose your hard drives I stated above because that happened to me in the past.

Reaction score
It would be interesting to just unplug the cam in question and not have it disabled in BI. Like unplug it from the POE switch, get back into BI and reenable the cam. If everything still runs, try plugging it back in. If things smurf up again, unplug the cam. Maybe try a different port on the POE switch. If it still crashes BI, then pull the cam down and try connecting with a known good manufactured short cable. If no crashing then, it puts the cable run as the possible problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I tested the HD and SSD and it checked out fine. I actually did replace it last year bc the SSD failed on me after many years.

I tried safe mode too.

I had some odd hunch that one camera was causing it. Bc one of the feeds was black even though I can enter the Dahua camera gui fine via browser. Well right as BI app opened I hit disable to that camera and it fixed all the crashes. It took a few tries to get enough time to go hit that. Now I have to figure out why one camera feed caused all that issues especially since I did not change any settings. I think I’ll do a factory reset on the camera and copied the settings from another camera that’s working well.

If anyone else or is this thread down the road, this was SOLVED by removing one of the buggy cameras that is crashing the entire Blue Iris app. But also diagnose your hard drives I stated above because that happened to me in the past.
It is possible that the camera is set to hardware acceleration with h265 and your processor does not support it...this was fixed in later versions to revert back to no HA....

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Those are both great ideas. I tried unplugging all of my cameras and adding them one by one plugging them in, but it didn’t resolve anything. I checked hardware acceleration and 265 and all cameras and they’re all shut off. I have definitely had issues with hardware acceleration over the years and that’s one of the first things. I check now that I have learned from you guys.

since nothing changed, I figured it must be some type of software glitch. So when I went into Blue Iris and I tried to change the camera settings for the problematic Camera, it tells me it encountered an improper argument. It will not let me adjusting the camera settings. This is whether it is enabled or disabled.

so I worked around that by changing the IP address of the suspect camera and adding it to Blue Iris and it works perfect now. I just don’t know how to delete the bad camera within the Blue Iris interface but that’s fine because it’s disabled.

so all in all it works great now just took some workarounds, and if anyone else reads this, you can have a bad camera setting or software glitch with him blue iris that crashes the entire thing. So remove the suspect camera and see if that fixes it and then you can re-add it with a new IP address and abandon the old camera profile inside blue iris.

Reaction score
Those are both great ideas. I tried unplugging all of my cameras and adding them one by one plugging them in, but it didn’t resolve anything. I checked hardware acceleration and 265 and all cameras and they’re all shut off. I have definitely had issues with hardware acceleration over the years and that’s one of the first things. I check now that I have learned from you guys.

since nothing changed, I figured it must be some type of software glitch. So when I went into Blue Iris and I tried to change the camera settings for the problematic Camera, it tells me it encountered an improper argument. It will not let me adjusting the camera settings. This is whether it is enabled or disabled.

so I worked around that by changing the IP address of the suspect camera and adding it to Blue Iris and it works perfect now. I just don’t know how to delete the bad camera within the Blue Iris interface but that’s fine because it’s disabled.

so all in all it works great now just took some workarounds, and if anyone else reads this, you can have a bad camera setting or software glitch with him blue iris that crashes the entire thing. So remove the suspect camera and see if that fixes it and then you can re-add it with a new IP address and abandon the old camera profile inside blue iris.
It's very easy to DELETE a camera from BI. Just right click on the live view of the camera, select CAMERA SETTINGS. On the bottom of the GENERAL tab just above OK, is an option for DELETE.