Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

Reaction score
I bought the annual service plan to get version 5 eligibility, which was confirmed when I applied the key to my V4 installation. My problem is now that I have installed Version 5 following the guides, and it's asking me for my V4 key. I have entered this and now it is asking me if I want to apply an upgrade key for version 5. When I try to apply the upgrade key it states that the key is already linked to a license and reverts to demo mode. Can anyone help me understand what is going on here?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought the annual service plan to get version 5 eligibility, which was confirmed when I applied the key to my V4 installation. My problem is now that I have installed Version 5 following the guides, and it's asking me for my V4 key. I have entered this and now it is asking me if I want to apply an upgrade key for version 5. When I try to apply the upgrade key it states that the key is already linked to a license and reverts to demo mode. Can anyone help me understand what is going on here?
It's asking for your original v4 key you received, not an upgrade key or support key.

Reaction score
It's asking for your original v4 key you received, not an upgrade key or support key.
Sorry, I meant I was applying the v4 key, but it was not recognised. I did a bit of hunting around and I found another v4 key I had and it worked That must have been the one that I had entered before the support key. All sorted now. Thanks.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm finally ready to upgrade to BI5, but plan on installing it on a new setup (Yes, I'll deactivate the old one). I have only a few cameras, and will be swapping a number of those for new cameras. I prefer to do a "clean" install from scratch.

What can you recommend for this? I plan on purchasing the $35 1-year support plan, but all the instructions I've seen are for upgrading on an existing system running BI4. Will I need to deactivate BI4 on the old setup, reinstall and activate it on the new setup, then install BI5 on the new system, and finally uninstall BI4 from the new system? Or can I purchase the support plan then simply deactivate BI4 on the old system and then Install BI5 on the new system using the BI4 key?

cagenuts

n3wb
Reaction score
I was about to buy new hardware until I discovered the sub streams in BI5. My 10 year old Xeon (no Quick Sync) was sitting at around 86% CPU with only 8 cameras. If I added any more it would spike to 100%. Since I've configured sub streams I now have 14 cameras and the CPU usage is sitting at 26%.

Repeat, no Intel Quick Sync.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm finally ready to upgrade to BI5, but plan on installing it on a new setup (Yes, I'll deactivate the old one). I have only a few cameras, and will be swapping a number of those for new cameras. I prefer to do a "clean" install from scratch.

What can you recommend for this? I plan on purchasing the $35 1-year support plan, but all the instructions I've seen are for upgrading on an existing system running BI4. Will I need to deactivate BI4 on the old setup, reinstall and activate it on the new setup, then install BI5 on the new system, and finally uninstall BI4 from the new system? Or can I purchase the support plan then simply deactivate BI4 on the old system and then Install BI5 on the new system using the BI4 key?
I am pretty sure you can load up your new PC and put BI 5 on it, then in settings put your original BI 4 key, that will allow BI4 or BI5 to run.

I just bought a new BI 5 for $57 on here and built my new PC while my old one was still running. Then I could play and get everything set right
on BI 5 before I had to rely on it.

Jay Dub

n3wb
Reaction score
So I upgraded my BI the other day from 4 to 5. I am recording "Blue Iris DVR (BVR, allows reading while writing)" and when I go to review some of the recordings I'm getting an error that says, "Source file format is corrupt...Please use the default BVR recording format". What am I missing?

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris 5 was released on May 31, 2019.

Step 8) Fix Web Server

Update: The Blue Iris 5 installer should fix this automatically.

The web server will be broken after the upgrade, but it is easy to fix. Go to Blue Iris Settings > Web server and change the "Root" folder path to point at your Blue Iris 5/www folder.

Related: See Bug 1 below.

Bug 1) Web Interface fails to load

Assuming you have correctly performed Step 8 (Fix Web Server), you may still find yourself unable to load the login page or UI3 due to the browser giving you an error message. For some unknown reason, Blue Iris 5's installer is failing to properly install UI3 sometimes. Some users have reported that UI3 gets installed correctly if you run the BI5 installer again (to do a "repair" install). Others said they needed to install UI3 manually. You can get it from here: bp2008/ui3

---
Recently encountered this issue with the Webserver not working after upgrading but only for remote connections, it worked on the BI machine. I manually updated Windows Defender Firewall rules, Inbound rules, as I noticed there weren't any rules created for BI5, despite running the wizard, but there was an existing one for BI4, & this fixed the issue.