Blue Iris 4.3.7.3 and Xfinity 150/15 Megabit with 63 Cameras brings the CPU to 100%

VBCWIZARD

n3wb
Reaction score
My friend has Xfinity (Blast) 150/15Mbps and an Arris TG1682G Modem\Router.
She has two computers with Blue Iris 4.3.7.3 installed on the same network (Comcast\Xfinity).

1. HP Pavilion 550-150, i5-6400 (Skylake), 8 Gigs, XFX R9 270X, Intel 535 240Gig SSD, Windows 10.
  2. Acer Aspire TC605, i5-4440 (Haswell), 8 Gigs, Intel HD Graphics 4600, 1 TB HD, Windows 7 (64x).

The ip cameras are as follows:

• 38 Foscam FI9821P, FI9821P V2, FI9821W. 1 Foscam NVR 4 channel (720p)
  • 13 LTS LTCIP830 (640x480)
  • 4 TriVision (NC-218WF) (640X480)
  • Ycam BLACK (640x480)
  • 1 Swann DVR 8-1500 (6/8 analog cameras are being used in Blue Iris)

When I moved her computers to my Verizon (FIOS) 15/15 MegaBits network then her computers work great !!!
BlueIris reports 25%-50% CPU utilization on my network. But on the Xfinity(Comcast) network BlueIris goes to 100% and both computers freeze up. :cold:
I’ve even tried disconnecting all of the other computers, printers, and switches from her router and just run those two computers individually from the router.
I’ve tried giving just one of her two computers a static IP and told the router to send port 80-81 (8080-8081) traffic to that computer:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Arris/TG1682G/Blue_Iris.htm

Within the Blue Iris program I’ve made these non default changes based on recommendation from this forum:

• Blue Iris Options-> Web server-> Disabled HTTP web server on port 81 (8080-8081).
  • Blue Iris Options-> Startup -> Require run-as Administrator for the console or when stand-alone.
  • Blue Iris Options-> Cameras -> Limit live preview rate (10fps).

Each individual camera has these non default settings:

• Trigger->Motion sensor (Disabled)
  • Record->Video (Disabled)
  • Record->Video fle format and compression-> Encoder(compression) Direct-to-disk
  • Webcast-> JPEG, MJPEG, H.264-> (Disabled)
  • Alerts -> Motion Zones (Disabled)

When she is running Blue Iris I do not need the computer to record clips on Alarm\Alert on to her hard drive.
The cameras record internally to their SD Cards and to the Swann DVR to it 1TB HD.
Xfinity\Comcast 150/15 MegaBits with nobody else on the network should be sufficient to grab these secondary video streams.
The cameras are on 17 Optimum Plus Networks. She just picked up a Netgear GSS116E managed switch.
I will install it within a few days but I doubt that this will solve her problems.

Again, when I bring her commuters to my Verizon FIOS network, I have both computers running at 25%-50%. Both of her computers just recently began experiencing this problem on her Xfinity\Comcast. Either Xfinity\Comcast did something or one of these updates for Blue Iris is causing this problem. Changing her ISP is currently not an option. Can someone please help? :peaceful:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Blue Iris 4.3.7.3 and Xfinity 150/15 Megabit with 63 Cameras brings the CPU to 10

This has nothing to do with the ISP or internet speeds. All traffic is local.
How are you testing the pc with all the cameras when you bring it to your network? do you physically bring all the cameras in?
Are you logged in remotely to her pc when running tests?

VBCWIZARD

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Blue Iris 4.3.7.3 and Xfinity 150/15 Megabit with 63 Cameras brings the CPU to 10

Fenderman, most of the ip cameras are not local to her comcast\xfinity network. They are at 17 different locations with Optimum as the ISP. Only 4 of the ip cameras are on her xfinity local network.

The test that I do is just a subjective one when I bring the computer physically to my Verizon network. The CPU utilization at the bottom of the Blue Iris screen and the Windows Resource Manager (CPU) is where I am getting these numbers.

I am not logged in remotely to any of these computers.

mcorzine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Just guessing here... if the BI configuration is not changing when you move the PC, BI must be consuming extra resources trying to fetch the camera streams. I would suspect either the modem or the ISP is bottle-necking the data stream. From a Windows command prompt run "tracert <ipaddress-of-a-camera>". This will tell you the number of hops between your PC and the camera as well as the response time between each hop. Compare the results between the Comcast and Verizon networks. Likely there is nothing you'll be able to do about the issue if the problem is the ISP. Also do speed tests to make sure the Xfinity is truly a 150Mbps download. If you see a hop that is excessively slow (more than 200 ms) or the speed isn't where it should be you might be able to get Xfinity to fix an issue.

You may be able to reduce the frame rate of each camera, lower the video quality, or choose a different protocol for the streams (H.264 vs JPEG) if available.

Again, just guessing. This is an odd issue.

VBCWIZARD

n3wb
Reaction score

Mcorzine that “tracert” suggestion sounds like a very good idea! I did a www.speedtest.net on her Xfinity network and got back 180/12! My FIOS returned a crummy 14/15:( As for the lower frame rate for the primary and secondary streams, I guess that is a setting that needs to be bumped down on each individual camera and not within the Blueiris software for that camera. Within Blue Iris the properties for a specific camera dose not allow you to change the Frame Rate to “Manual”. The “Auto” check box is not enabled. Also, within the Blue Iris program properties (Blue Iris Options) -> Cameras -> Limit live preview rate (dose not affect recording), I already have that set at 10 fps.

I just ran speed test again and got back 24.37/15.56 for FIOS. It's not all bad, just very expensive.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5373972408

Last edited by a moderator:

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Just to state the obvious, but you realize she's receiving 10X the data on Comcast than she would be on FIOS right?

For the camera, the number that matters most is the send/transmit/upload/upstream speed of the connection. So if one of her locations has 50/5, then all the cameras have to share 5Mb to send their video.

For BlueIris, what matters is the RECEIVE speed. So, on your FIOS, at 15Mb receive, if all the cameras share equally (They don't, it fluctuates.) you're only getting around 230Kb per camera. On her Comcast, at 150Mb, you're getting 2.3Mb per camera. That's 10x the data for BlueIris to do motion detection, overlays, recompression, etc. on. Of course it hits the systems harder.

Now there are flaws in the above math that probably reduce it down from 10x. For example, if she had 6 locations with a send speed of 12 (common with Comcast) she'd only be looking at 72Mb, but that's still a much heavier load for BI to process.

So, start disabling processor heavy features like overlays, object detection, and recompression (just record direct to disk). See if that helps. And of course she could consider some more computers to spread the load around some.

(For anyone that wants to criticize replying to a 2 month old post, I stumbled on it Googling, so I'm replying with a suggestion that could help other searchers, as well as the OP.)