Blue Iris 20 camera setup continuous record

diver165

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been running a 15 camera BI setup going on 2 yrs w/o issues. I have expanded my system to 20 cameras. They are all Dahua 4mp cameras (HDW4433C-A) and one Hikvision 4mp all at 10fps. My CPU usage is running OK with 15 cameras and BI doing the motion detection. But my needs for more cameras have uncovered the fact I'm missing or cutting off some motion detected events. I currently save recording for 90 days. My CPU usage still hasn't come close to being maxed out. Even with 4 or 5 cams triggered at once.

So now I'm contemplating running continuous recording and having BI mark the motion detection. I have a gigabit home network and I run an Dell tower with 16GB RAM and Intel I7-4790 @3.60Hz processor with 2 gig and 3 gig WD purple drives.

I know I'll have to reconfigure all my cameras. I know I won't be able to archive 90 days of recordings on my existing HD config. What's a realistic calculation on how much a 3TB can record 20 4mp cameras at 10fps. Can I have some cameras on motion and some on continuous?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been running a 15 camera BI setup going on 2 yrs w/o issues. I have expanded my system to 20 cameras. They are all Dahua 4mp cameras (HDW4433C-A) and one Hikvision 4mp all at 10fps. My CPU usage is running OK with 15 cameras and BI doing the motion detection. But my needs for more cameras have uncovered the fact I'm missing or cutting off some motion detected events. I currently save recording for 90 days. My CPU usage still hasn't come close to being maxed out. Even with 4 or 5 cams triggered at once.

So now I'm contemplating running continuous recording and having BI mark the motion detection. I have a gigabit home network and I run an Dell tower with 16GB RAM and Intel I7-4790 @3.60Hz processor with 2 gig and 3 gig WD purple drives.

I know I'll have to reconfigure all my cameras. I know I won't be able to archive 90 days of recordings on my existing HD config. What's a realistic calculation on how much a 3TB can record 20 4mp cameras at 10fps. Can I have some cameras on motion and some on continuous?
record time is based on one thing only...bitrate.
yes you can choose which cams are continuous and which are triggered.