bitrate?

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the most common bitrate to set a camera at for 720p and for 1080p?

I noticed that the bitrate of my Imporx 10x PTZ fluxes between 150-200 kb/s and the pic looks good. I checked on the Reolinks and was shocked to see they fluxed between 500-600 kb/s. (this is checked on using BI camera properties)

So I got even more curious and logged into each camera. The Imporx was set to Max rate of 4096 kbps.

I checked the camera settings on all 4 reolinks and the settings were the same as the Imporx.

Huh? Why on earth is there such a difference when the camera settings are the same in the bitrates being used? Plus the Imporx live view and recordings look a lot better.

Taking a closer look at them tonight I see the Imporx is still popping along at its 20fps while the Reolinks have all dropped to about 8-9 fps.

Is that that big of a difference between the quality of the two different brands?

dalepa

Reaction score
bitrate depends on the image. My 10x view is almost 100% dark at night and the bitrate is down to 10kB/s and 500kB/s during the day all at 25FPS.

Compression! Ain't it great!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, what a load of rubbish written by someone, I'd ignore that. You don't need 16000Kbit on a 3MP unless you are recording a really really really busy interchange for example.

As dalepa says, it's scene dependent. Huisun 4096 VBR I've found is fine.

You can't compare bitrate between models like that, higher bitrate on one doesn't mean it'll be better quality than lower bitrate on another. The sensor is far more important than the differences in already high bitrate.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, what a load of rubbish written by someone, I'd ignore that. You don't need 16000Kbit on a 3MP unless you are recording a really really really busy interchange for example.

As dalepa says, it's scene dependent. Huisun 4096 VBR I've found is fine.

You can't compare bitrate between models like that, higher bitrate on one doesn't mean it'll be better quality than lower bitrate on another. The sensor is far more important than the differences in already high bitrate.
LOL The chart was written by Hikvision

Perhaps you should take a closer look. The 15,360 line for a 3 mp camera is the BEST quality at 30 fps using 2048*1536

For the Imporx - go the the 2 mp line and pick your frame rate and picture quality. (it's not rocket science)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LOL The chart was written by Hikvision

Perhaps you should take a closer look. The 15,360 line for a 3 mp camera is the BEST quality at 30 fps using 2048*1536

For the Imporx - go the the 2 mp line and pick your frame rate and picture quality. (it's not rocket science)
It's written by Hikvision... and? (I'm not sure it is btw) and it says DS-2CD7xx/72xx/8xx/82xx, so if we are taking everything at face-value only then I guess we should ignore it for all other models including Huisuns. *sarcasm*

You don't need 15,360kbps for 3MP at 30fps using 2048*1536. You don't need 10,240 for a 2MP Imporx/Huisun etc. You're wasting lots of bandwidth and disk space for minimal gain. So no, it's not rocket science but it's not an exact science either (LOL).

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
since we are on this subject what do you guys recommend bitrate on a 3 MP Hikvision Camera with 20FPS I currently have it at 2048

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This bitrate thing is still confusing me. I get about looking around and reading and finding it out on our own, but if you're not a technical person, its a lot to digest and process.

Anyone feel like sharing an example of their specific settings? Like brand, model, location of camera and purpose (front door for facial recognition, wider area coverage, etc) along with some bitrate examples?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This bitrate thing is still confusing me. I get about looking around and reading and finding it out on our own, but if you're not a technical person, its a lot to digest and process.

Anyone feel like sharing an example of their specific settings? Like brand, model, location of camera and purpose (front door for facial recognition, wider area coverage, etc) along with some bitrate examples?
The birtrate makes a negligible difference in the video quality once you hit a particular level. For most common setups 15/20fps 2-4mp simply set it to 4096. Dont over think it.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The birtrate makes a negligible difference in the video quality once you hit a particular level. For most common setups 15/20fps 2-4mp simply set it to 4096. Dont over think it.
Any preference of CBR over VBR? Or is that dependent on situation/use?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any preference of CBR over VBR? Or is that dependent on situation/use?
You may be able to save considerable disk space using vbr..it depends on the scene. Try both and see if you notice a difference.