Bird box camera uses cloud p2p - possible to configure and use locally?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried the Vonets and it crapped out after less than a year. The Ubuiquity bridge is much more reliable, robust and is encrypted, but more expensive -

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

Another dodge might be to use a powerline adapter but I don't know of any made for 220 mains so I can't give you a link.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BTW, how do you intend to power the cam that you are planning on getting?
I have the same boat of not wanting a cable into the house.

However I have found a non invasive way to get an ethernet cable to the recorder. My plan is to use a tall tree next to the house, cable goes up the tree, overhead and under a roof tile. Cheesy I know, but it's a flippin bird house.

However, there's always solar options. Small 12v 7A lead acid battery with a solar panel is an option. A large panel on a garden shed is a perfect spot, then many batteries to power cameras, shed lights and a wireless AP.

In the future I plan to setup solar and the ethernet line will just be data. That way I can add more cameras/lights in the backyard which is above POE limits.

Be creative to get a cable from A to B. That's my example so you can now think of something.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm wondering how reliable the cable will be long term.

While i know they make stranded cable for flexibility most network cable including the outdoor stuff is a solid core. With the tree and branches blowing about movement over a period of time could lead to failure.

Why not substitute the tree for a pole and a guy wire to the bird box or house. Cable tie the network cable to it to take the weight. Should be less movement and less strain on the cable overall.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Speaking strictly for myself, I despise batteries.....really, I do. :mad:
In the form for cctv or in gernal?
I'm already using a cheap no brand AliExpress camera for this, so not much loss. I call this whole project more fun than the actual result.

I'm wondering how reliable the cable will be long term.
While i know they make stranded cable for flexibility most network cable including the outdoor stuff is a solid core. With the tree and branches blowing about movement over a period of time could lead to failure.
Why not substitute the tree for a pole and a guy wire to the bird box or house. Cable tie the network cable to it to take the weight. Should be less movement and less strain on the cable overall.
I suppose it depends on how you have interpreted my message :). There are some big trees with really thicc main trunks that don't move at all in strong winds and then there's little bush things.
But you are correct in this case, the tree right next to the house is a small bush thing. Which is great to hide the cable going up it.

First instance I'll attach to the tree and see how I even like the birdhouse cam, latter on I can think about a pole.
I totally agree with a pole, it would get hidden in this ever-green tree fine.

Please do get back to topic for OP, I don't intend to take over about my birdhouse!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the form for cctv or in gernal?
Just in general.

Back in the 70's and 80's before non-volatile RAM I replaced so many #$%@ batteries in traffic signal controllers that were used to keep the configuration and timing parameters in its volatile RAM alive I lost my affinity for batteries. I'll bet in 31 years I replaced more batteries and electrolytic capacitors than all other discrete components combined and ran more trouble calls that were caused by bad batteries and electrolytic capacitors than for any other reasons for failure.

If it weren't for batteries and electrolytic filter capacitors, no telling how long electronic devices would last. Battery technology (and to some degree capacitor tech) has improved tremendously in the last 10 years or so but still they're a pain, IMO. True, they have their place and their use cases where nothing else will provide the desired operation and function so I'll give them that and deal with it....but I don't have to like it. :cool:

wallport

n3wb
Reaction score
BTW, how do you intend to power the cam that you are planning on getting?
The existing camera gets its power from the shed and I was planning on taking a longer low voltage cable which I already have down the garden from the shed.

Powerline adapters over the mains to the shed may be an option but there would still need to be a long Ethernet cable down to the birdbox. WiFi is a lot easier but will bear this option in mind if I just cant find a suitable WiFi camera. Surely there must be other WiFi bird box camera options?

Wallport

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So not to hijack this thread but I just took delivery of one of these Green Backyard wifi birdbox cams. It was used and/or open box and I snagged it on fleabay. I actually thought it was the wired version but turns out its not. After a few hours of messing around with it, I am able to connect with it to BI, connect through it's web interface and see all device settings using Onvif manager. I also turned off internet access to the VLAN I have it set on and have no issues so far.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So not to hijack this thread but I just took delivery of one of these Green Backyard wifi birdbox cams. It was used and/or open box and I snagged it on fleabay. I actually thought it was the wired version but turns out its not. After a few hours of messing around with it, I am able to connect with it to BI, connect through it's web interface and see all device settings using Onvif manager. I also turned off internet access to the VLAN I have it set on and have no issues so far.
Perhaps your wifi works without cloud because you have a 1st or 2nd Gen and are not using a 3rd Gen Green Feathers camera.

wallport

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a 3rd gen camera at first but it had a loud speaker which couldn't be silenced when reset eg when power is lost. Can you imagine the impact of a spoken message about wifi connection from a speaker inside the box when birds are nesting?

They were trying to find a solution to this - hope they do.

My messages above refer to the 2nd gen which I had as a replacement.

Wallport

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Not sure what gen, how do I tell? I know it has a 2.8mm lens if that helps.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Surely there must be other WiFi bird box camera options?

Wallport
You have not said what size and type of bird box you are going to use. So this may not be applicable. I remember the thread below from last year which may be of interest. The camera used is not wifi and has been discontinued.

The wifi version of his camera is Dahua SD1A203T-GN-W which has probably been discontinued.

The following Amcrest camera is similar to the one above and is wifi.

Amcrest ships to UK from US. Contact them for total price and other details if interested.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maybe some confusion over green feathers versus green backyard?

Wallport
The websites look very similar and offer almost the same exact systems, I wouldn't be surprised if they're using the same hardware and software.

wallport

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I too am wondering this but I sent some questions to golbong (who appear to be behind green backyard as the contact us link goes to them) and the answers say they dont rely on cloud p2p. The product does look incredibly similar except brown instead of green.

I am awaiting my refund but am seriously considering trying this.

Wallport

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The one I have is still running ok, I have noticed it loses signal every once in a while in BlueIris, not sure if that's the camera rebooting (it comes back pretty quick) or a wifi issue, but I'm using it in a hermit crab cage so really not that important to me. I also have noticed in my firewall logs that it's constantly trying to ping 3 ip addresses about 25 times a minute. One is google's DNS (8.8.8.8) and the other two are in Ch1na, possibly also DNS servers (180.76.76.76 & 114.114.114.114).