bidens incredible transition to electric cars

wrapter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^ Jaguar I-pace is the EV that caught fire. Its was recalled due to battery fire issues. Guess the owner didn't get the memo.

Reaction score
I have been looking at used Outlander and Outlander Sports as a possible vehicle to buy for my daughter as a college vehicle. I have NOT looked at the PHEV version-- electric vehicle...

This is pretty good from a Canadian that bought an EV Outlander... LOVE the entitlement for this person not doing their own homework about suitability of an EV where they live.

1705280770471.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I read another new (to me) angle today, probably surfaced because of the cold wave in my neck of the woods. Drivers who need to stop at a charging station have to wait in the cold while the car charges, or run its heater and extend the charging time. I've been saying for a long time that if we are forced into EVs, the only sane configuration is plug-in hybrid. Haven't seen anything to change my mind yet.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
We recently purchased a 2024 Honda CRV hybrid. Non-Plug in Hybrid. ( Plug in not yet offered in U.S. apparently) My GF wanted an electric car. I did a little research and it seems at this time, for the driving she does Hybrid was the choice for us. Her Apt complex will likely get plug in stations in about 2550. :)

The Canada spec version has rear heated seats available and a couple other minor options available.

The UK version I believe has a Plug in Hybrid Version with several other options not available to North America. They also put the Wheel on the wrong side of the car.

Europe has a left hand drive version of plug in.
but the Shifter is different than mine. USA has the stick to shift from park to Drive.

wrapter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
EV like tesla when its freezing need as much as 6kw of energy for at least 20min or so from a charger to heat up the battery before accepting a charge.

All current lithium batteries use liquid electrolyte which freezes and that is why EV range suck in cold weather and also needs to preheat the battery before arriving to a charging station.
But the Solid state batteries being tested by the Chinese and VW germany looks promising. It said to work in -20 and can accept a charging speed higher then anything out there like single digit minutes to fully charge and are good for 300k miles with about 95% capacity left. These batteries will start hitting the markets in 26.

A Chinese company has already started to produce cars with those type of batteries but solid state battery option will cost 42k more then the regular battery version, due to the fact that solid state batteries currently have a low yield, lots of reject in the manufacturing stage.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We recently purchased a 2024 Honda CRV hybrid. Non-Plug in Hybrid. ( Plug in not yet offered in U.S. apparently) My GF wanted an electric car. I did a little research and it seems at this time, for the driving she does Hybrid was the choice for us. Her Apt complex will likely get plug in stations in about 2550. :)

The Canada spec version has rear heated seats available and a couple other minor options available.

The UK version I believe has a Plug in Hybrid Version with several other options not available to North America. They also put the Wheel on the wrong side of the car.

Europe has a left hand drive version of plug in.
but the Shifter is different than mine. USA has the stick to shift from park to Drive.
Usually you can't go wrong with a Honda.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We recently purchased a 2024 Honda CRV hybrid. Non-Plug in Hybrid. ( Plug in not yet offered in U.S. apparently)
Usually you can't go wrong with a Honda.
Just traded in a 2012 CR-V for a new one... If a plug-in hybrid was available would have definitely opted for that... don't drive too much so would be able to charge it at home most of the time but grab gas when needed... all electric seems nuts to me.

Garage_Garage_Garage_20240116144849_48569.jpg

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Never seen a funeral procession stop... red lights stop signs etc... hold on we need to charge...