bidens incredible transition to electric cars

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will ask again, and you will fail to answer, why does my utility invite me to pay a lot more for "renewables" if they are cheaper?
why are non-renewables the cheaper option? Subsidies

with the Subsidies Fuel/Coal get you're paying for your product twice.. 10-50 Billion a year.. wow!

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Ford isn't slashing prices on their EV truck because they are in price wars with ?? Dodge? Gm?? The only reason a manufacturer slashes prices is because stock hasn't moved, isn't currently moving nor is there any short term future hope of stock moving. Ford priced themselves out of the market as soon as they released it to the general public. I wonder who told Ford the world was gonna snap those things up, with a ridiculous price tag? I'll keep my trusty o'l gas guzzling 09 F250 SuperDuty. It may not be a speed demon, but I can get 560 miles on a tank and will never have to worry about where I am going to camp overnight while my truck refuels.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ford isn't slashing prices on their EV truck because they are in price wars with ?? Dodge? Gm?? The only reason a manufacturer slashes prices is because stock hasn't moved, isn't currently moving nor is there any short term future hope of stock moving. Ford priced themselves out of the market as soon as they released it to the general public. I wonder who told Ford the world was gonna snap those things up, with a ridiculous price tag? I'll keep my trusty o'l gas guzzling 09 F250 SuperDuty. It may not be a speed demon, but I can get 560 miles on a tank and will never have to worry about where I am going to camp overnight while my truck refuels.

I think people are waiting for the cybertrunk. If a high enough percentage of reservation holders bail and forfeit their deposit we will probable see many of them buy a Lightining or Rivian.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Same here with my '18 F-150 3.5L V6...gets 21MPG x 36 gal tank gets >720 miles, fill up takes < 10 mins. :cool:

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Same here with my '18 F-150 3.5L V6...gets 21MPG x 36 gal tank gets >720 miles, fill up takes < 10 mins. :cool:
I imagine living in Alabama things tend to be pretty spread out. I live outside Boston and rarely need to go more than 20 miles. Occasionally go to Cape Cod and that is like 60-90 miles. We can change at the house there.

I have a 19 gallon tank right now and it lasts me a month. I'd probably get a Tesla Y when my SUV dies, and if we take a long road trip it will be in our gasoline powered minivan.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I imagine living in Alabama things tend to be pretty spread out. I live outside Boston and rarely need to go more than 20 miles. Occasionally go to Cape Cod and that is like 60-90 miles. We can change at the house there.

I have a 19 gallon tank right now and it lasts me a month. I'd probably get a Tesla Y when my SUV dies, and if we take a long road trip it will be in our gasoline powered minivan.
Every trip to the nearest city with a real grocery store, a fresh vegetable stand or farmer's market, Walmart, Tractor Supply, Cracker Barrel, Chik-Fil-A, our dentist, chiropractor, podiatrist, my VA Clinic and our veterinarian, etc. is 25 to 30 miles, each way....go there probably 2-3 times a week, so that's 125 to 200 miles weekly. My daughter is in south AL, about 360 miles.

It is what it is...:cool:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think people are waiting for the cybertrunk. If a high enough percentage of reservation holders bail and forfeit their deposit we will probable see many of them buy a Lightining or Rivian.
That Tesla cyber-truck is so ugly looking and full of engineering design flaws I can't imagine why anyone would wait in line to buy one, much less pay premium prices to get it.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
why are non-renewables the cheaper option? Subsidies

with the Subsidies Fuel/Coal get you're paying for your product twice.. 10-50 Billion a year.. wow!
You've got it exactly backwards. Subsidies per generated TWh are much higher for wind and solar than fossil fuels.

As I explained, the only reason I have solar is three unique but equally insane subsidies. It makes absolutely no sense, but my utility, the state government, and the federal government are happy to bill and tax more for electricity from poor customers to subsidize my wealthy house to get expensive solar that I don't need. Not only is it corrupt pandering to a clueless political base, but it's regressive; something that clueless base should ostensibly be against.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
the only reason I have solar is three unique but equally insane subsidies. It makes absolutely no sense, but my utility, the state government, and the federal government are happy to bill more for electricity from poor customers to subsidize my wealthy house to get expensive solar that I don't need.
I could have written exactly this. A big reason I opted for solar is it's the only government wealth redistribution scheme I've ever been able to take advantage of. I have a utility maintained 400 amp service that I pay almost nothing for, plus a free to me AC storage battery, paid for by the other customers. It's kind of like a ponzi scheme, those who get in early benefit, and when too many people get in the whole system will collapse. The huge benefit to me has been the battery backup, an almost whole-house UPS. With most power outages we don't know it ever happened unless a neighbor calls to ask if our power is out. To answer that, I have to first look at what the PV system is doing.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Or you are a privileged Zoomer or Millennial, who are mad at all the BOOMERS, because in their mind, they think the Boomers ruined everything for them. They think they are coming to the rural areas to snuff every Boomer out with a pillow......true story.
I am a Gen Xer, but I don't blame Millenials and Zoomers for being pissed at Boomers.

They inherited a fantastic economy and promised themselves huge benefits from the government while cutting taxes and racked up $32 trillion worth of debt and gave it to the next generation to deal with. Social security is broke, Medicare is underwater but they won't let that shit get cut. And they are the wealthiest generation in the history of the world. They are the ultimate welfare queens.