BI5 and Windows 11 startup run as a service?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In BI5 under the tab startup if i click on run as a windows service it ask me for a user and password.

I'm using a pin # to login in on boot if i enter my pin and user name it says it is wrong.

Do i need to remove the pin # on boot in order to run bi as a windows service?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a password that was set up as well as part of the Microsoft account. The pin simply simplifies it for the end user.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In most instances yes, and should have admin privileges on the computer

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You where right that worked! I've never used the MS account it is a requirement to setup Win 11 but can be set to a local account later.

I have my PC set to auto boot if power goes out and it comes back on, i wonder if BI will load automatically if your not at home on the login screen?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You where right that worked! I've never used the MS account it is a requirement to setup Win 11 but can be set to a local account later.

I have my PC set to auto boot if power goes out and it comes back on, i wonder if BI will load automatically if your not at home on the login screen?
Note that if you have Windows 11 pro you don't need to set up a Microsoft account during setup just unplug the PC from the internet during the setup process and it will allow you to go through the limited setup.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Of course it worked LOL.

If you run BI as a service, then yes it will auto start up on a reboot or restart after a power outage. Most of us here run the BI computer without a monitor, so it just sits there on a login screen and works just fine on reboot.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Of course it worked LOL.

If you run BI as a service, then yes it will auto start up on a reboot or restart after a power outage. Most of us here run the BI computer without a monitor, so it just sits there on a login screen and works just fine on reboot.
I will test it to be sure nothing worse than being away from home when the power went out for a hour and you can't see your cameras! :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Under Alerts, you can have BI send you a text or push whenever it restarts as well. And some of us have scripts in place to alert us if the computer goes down.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I switched to a local admin account what do i use for BI? I am not using a pass/pin anymore if i leave it blank in BI for a localsystem account it says that it's not recommended.

Techuser

n3wb
Reaction score
I switched to a local admin account what do i use for BI? I am not using a pass/pin anymore if i leave it blank in BI for a localsystem account it says that it's not recommended.
Hey did you ever get it to work? I’m on windows 11 local admin account without a password. When I try to enable “run as a service”, it won’t let me leave the field blank.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey did you ever get it to work? I’m on windows 11 local admin account without a password. When I try to enable “run as a service”, it won’t let me leave the field blank.
set a password with auto login. See netplwiz

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I added a password to the logon for windows and used that in BI. I didn't used to can't recall how i got around it and BI still had admin rights.

Greg Boca

n3wb
Reaction score
Win 11 with PIN and no PW, couldn't get BI to run as service.
I did as Techuser suggested and it worked. here are the steps:
1. In win search, enter "run"
2. In the dialog box that comes up, enter "netplwiz"
3. Highlight the user name in the list (must have admin rights) and then click on "reset password"
4. Enter new password and confirm.