BI update broke Alerts

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This morning's update (and there has been one every day for the past 2-3 days!) seems to have broken my "motion alerts" on one of my cameras. The alerts timeline did not show any clip even though there was activity. It was necessary to change the settings from "Alerts" to "Zone A" in order for them to show up.
Update 5.5.6.20 on 5/4.22 seems to have been the culprit.
I rolled back to 5.5.6.15 4/22/22 and the alerts activity is now properly showing up in the sidebar timeline for "Alerts" (the person or auto icons).

Not sure what is going on, I've simply been faithfully updating every time they push out one.... but now I'm hesitant to do so and may wait.

Always makes me wonder when a program, plugin, or other software has "every day" updates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This morning's update (and there has been one every day for the past 2-3 days!) seems to have broken my "motion alerts" on one of my cameras. The alerts timeline did not show any clip even though there was activity. It was necessary to change the settings from "Alerts" to "Zone A" in order for them to show up.
Update 5.5.6.20 on 5/4.22 seems to have been the culprit.
I rolled back to 5.5.6.15 4/22/22 and the alerts activity is now properly showing up in the sidebar timeline for "Alerts" (the person or auto icons).

Not sure what is going on, I've simply been faithfully updating every time they push out one.... but now I'm hesitant to do so and may wait.

Always makes me wonder when a program, plugin, or other software has "every day" updates.
Why do you have a problem with updates every 2-3 days?!!! Why are you volunteering to beta test a new release. Blue iris offers you the option to install only critical or highly stable updates. It makes me wonder when users dont read the help file or even the basic options on the update page then bitch and moan about it. Blue iris give you the OPTION to update -this is because the developer is highly responsive adding new features and fixing bugs. Perhaps its time you try another product and see how well it works for you and report back.

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why do you have a problem with updates every 2-3 days?!!! Why are you volunteering to beta test a new release. Blue iris offers you the option to install only critical or highly stable updates. It makes me wonder when users dont read the help file or even the basic options on the update page then bitch and moan about it. Blue iris give you the OPTION to update -this is because the developer is highly responsive adding new features and fixing bugs. Perhaps its time you try another product and see how well it works for you and report back.
Wow. I don't have a problem with updates, it's just that suddenly there were a daily succession of updates. Since I am defending myself from your comment, yes, I did not notice the difference between "regular" updates and "beta". I generally get the pop up for updates and then install which has not caused me any issues for the almost year that I have been using Blue Iris. Thanks to your scolding I will be more aware of the difference.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. I don't have a problem with updates, it's just that suddenly there were a daily succession of updates. Since I am defending myself from your comment, yes, I did not notice the difference between "regular" updates and "beta". I generally get the pop up for updates and then install which has not caused me any issues for the almost year that I have been using Blue Iris. Thanks to your scolding I will be more aware of the difference.
There are often daily updates. That is how he works, he doesnt wait six weeks to fix a bug - this is an issue for you? You should be scolded. You imply that there is something wrong with BI, when in fact there is something wrong with you.
1) and there has been one every day for the past 2-3 days!
2) Always makes me wonder when a program, plugin, or other software has "every day" updates.
Those were your two primary bitch points and you have defended none of them. If you would have simply presented your problem, then the reply would be different. I now see that you enjoy bitching at others but you cant handle the reverse.

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are often daily updates. That is how he works, he doesnt wait six weeks to fix a bug - this is an issue for you? You should be scolded. You imply that there is something wrong with BI, when in fact there is something wrong with you.
1) and there has been one every day for the past 2-3 days!
2) Always makes me wonder when a program, plugin, or other software has "every day" updates.
Those were your two primary bitch points and you have defended none of them. If you would have simply presented your problem, then the reply would be different. I now see that you enjoy bitching at others but you cant handle the reverse.
OK no that was not a BI criticism. It's like when Windows gives updates upon updates, or other programs I have (some website items, like Envira).

Let me state that I absolutely love Blue Iris, and being new.... there is a learning curve.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it necessary broke anything.

Good practice would be to include a motion zone, but it worked without in previous updates (unintentionally working). Then at some point an update is made that necessitates a motion zone for a new feature to work, which then to some appears it "broke" when in fact it didn't break, it was just the use case prior was working unintentionally and probably shouldn't have been working then either.

BI has so much flexibility and so many options, that occasionally we stumble across something like this because none of us have it set up the exact same way. I have seen several things like this over the years.

And that is what many of these updates are - someone reports a "problem" or an issue, and Ken fixes it and sends out an update.

I much prefer this method of constant updates where it is an easy rollback if it doesn't work in my system. This program is so option rich that wouldn't be possible if he only rolled them out once per year.

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think it necessary broke anything.

Good practice would be to include a motion zone, but it worked without in previous updates (unintentionally working). Then at some point an update is made that necessitates a motion zone for a new feature to work, which then to some appears it "broke" when in fact it didn't break, it was just the use case prior was working unintentionally and probably shouldn't have been working then either.

BI has so much flexibility and so many options, that occasionally we stumble across something like this because none of us have it set up the exact same way. I have seen several things like this over the years.

And that is what many of these updates are - someone reports a "problem" or an issue, and Ken fixes it and sends out an update.

I much prefer this method of constant updates where it is an easy rollback if it doesn't work in my system. This program is so option rich that wouldn't be possible if he only rolled them out once per year.
Thanks for that info, like I said, BI is VERY robust and it's been a pure joy to have and works exceptionally well. Admittedly, it is "so feature packed", I've read the BI manual several times and STILL there are settings and so on that are a bit elusive to me.
I do like the "bleeding edge" and always adopt updates as they roll out.... be it Windows or many other programs. Sometimes bugs happen, and my above post was just wondering if perhaps I missed something. VERY often here I see great posts
of folks who did something or changed a setting, and the community steers them into the right direction.

My cameras are set basically "standard settings" and the zones are, well just one. I do not have small sections carved out (like you do on a Ring doorbell), the whole image is a zone.

BTW my usual alerts pop up with either a "A" or a "B" or a "AB" zone, and I get the BI Icon for human, or vehicle, etc. Just that part stopped working this morning, and I was stumped.

I'll have to go recheck the motion zones and so on.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, this same thing happened to me several updates ago and when I reported it, that is when BI said that the way I had it set up just happened to work unintentionally, but it shouldn't have, and when they added a new feature, it "closed" the ability for it to work incorrectly.

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, this same thing happened to me several updates ago and when I reported it, that is when BI said that the way I had it set up just happened to work unintentionally, but it shouldn't have, and when they added a new feature, it "closed" the ability for it to work incorrectly.
I have all the boxes checked for the Zones.. is that what you are saying?

Attachments