BI Running on MAC

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone had any trouble running BI on a Mac? I am running BI on my MAC through a windows parrell program and having quite a few problems. The first is the cpu is running at 100% all the time and BI freezes and shut down a lot. The virtual environment also seems real slow, not sure if this is from BI?

Any thoughts?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI is not suited to run in a VM, it wont matter what CPU he has as no hardware acceleration is available to a Windows VM.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1600MHz DDR3
You need to be more specific, what model i5, how many cameras? what are their resolutions? have you enabled direct to disk recording in BI for EACH camera? its a must with high res cams.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have always run BI from a VM on my Mac....

I use Fusion (parallels has never been super robust for me), running Win 10 Pro. (8 gigs ram allocated to this VM)

The VM machine reports around 40% CPU utilization with 9 cameras at 1080p or more (15 fps), all direct-to-disc recording....

The Mac reports 15% CPU load with 2 Win 10 VMs, 1 OS X VM, OS X Server and a Home Automation server running.

I am running this on a new (trash can) Mac Pro (6 cores, 64 gigs ram) and is very very stable....

I would love to have Hardware Acceleration, but not enough to deploy a physical windows box... (I don't think I could even come close to the computing power to watt consumed on a physical windows pc compared to this server setup)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to have Hardware Acceleration, but not enough to deploy a physical windows box... (I don't think I could even come close to the computing power to watt consumed on a physical windows pc compared to this server setup)
The mac pro actually is not very efficient. A modern windows i5-haswell/skylake system like the hp elitedesk will idle at 15w and consume about 30w at 30 percent cpu consumption. Its 300 vs 4000 for the mac pro. Power consumption is largely based on the cpu...a windows pc with the same processor would be just as efficient.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to go the cheap route and took an old pc from work. Still having the 100%cpu problem and slow operating speed. I changed all cameras to direct to disk and these are my specs Intel core 2 e8500 @3.16ghz. 3166mhz Ho 786g2

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to go the cheap route and took an old pc from work. Still having the 100%cpu problem and slow operating speed. I changed all cameras to direct to disk and these are my specs Intel core 2 e8500 @3.16ghz. 3166mhz Ho 786g2
What cameras? Are you using the BI demo?

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
GW 960p 1.3 mp I have 5 of these and 2 wide angle cameras not sure the brand. And no I have a blue license

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The mac pro actually is not very efficient. A modern windows i5-haswell/skylake system like the hp elitedesk will idle at 15w and consume about 30w at 30 percent cpu consumption. Its 300 vs 4000 for the mac pro. Power consumption is largely based on the cpu...a windows pc with the same processor would be just as efficient.
I am not sure you are looking at the new mac pro's.... I was pretty sure the Mac Pro isn't too much of an energy hog... So I looked at apple's specs and they give this: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201796

Then I hooked up a kill-a-watt meter to my server and rebooted.....

Idling with all the VM's and services running (including BI) it uses 48 watts . If I kill the VM running BI and let things stabilize, it uses 46 watts. There is no way a stand alone PC could every come close to 2 watts...

And I need to run this Mac server regardless, so replacing it with a windows box would use way more total power for my application.

And when you look at the power consumption for this 6 core xeon machine, I would say it is actually quite power efficient compared to similar spec servers/work stations from Dell or PC...

I would try VM Fusion for the original poster's VM, I am surprised that the CPU is maxing out at 100%.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure you are looking at the new mac pro's.... I was pretty sure the Mac Pro isn't too much of an energy hog... So I looked at apple's specs and they give this: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201796

Then I hooked up a kill-a-watt meter to my server and rebooted.....

Idling with all the VM's and services running (including BI) it uses 48 watts . If I kill the VM running BI and let things stabilize, it uses 46 watts. There is no way a stand alone PC could every come close to 2 watts...

And I need to run this Mac server regardless, so replacing it with a windows box would use way more total power for my application.

And when you look at the power consumption for this 6 core xeon machine, I would say it is actually quite power efficient compared to similar spec servers/work stations from Dell or PC...

I would try VM Fusion for the original poster's VM, I am surprised that the CPU is maxing out at 100%.....
Something is wrong with your measurements if BI only adds 2 watts. I saw something online indicating 87w..regardless 43w idle and 205w at 100 percent is high for a modern pc. Modern i5's idle at 15 or so, i7 is similar. Dell/hp workstations/servers are way more power efficient.. Regardless the point was that a windows server would perform just as efficiently spec'd the same...except it would cost 1/5 the price. You have a different situation than the op since your system is already running and in place. It is always best to run a vms on a clean dedicated pc. For op's load, a 200/300 dollar hp elitedesk would be more than sufficient and way more efficient than the old hardware.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
GW 960p 1.3 mp I have 5 of these and 2 wide angle cameras not sure the brand. And no I have a blue license
Have you set direct to disk? Buy a 200/300 hp/dell 4/5th generation i5..you will have tons of room to grow. The system will pay for itself in power consumption alone.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I set all camera to direct to disk and also turned the recordings off to see if that would help. Even with the traffic signal on red light cpu 100%

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That processor is very weak. Try dropping your frame rates down to 5FPS and see what happens.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I set all camera to direct to disk and also turned the recordings off to see if that would help. Even with the traffic signal on red light cpu 100%
Just to clarify did you make sure EACH camera is set to direct to disk and activate the BI license on that machine? It seems like BI is too much for this machine though it should work with your light load...the power cost savings alone make it worthwhile to upgrade to a proper machine...

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what that means. I downloaded bi then used my key to access the program and then had to add all my cameras though the find ip