BI Remote Security

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had a BI web server set up for several years and opened up port 100 on my Airport Extreme router for this purpose. I suspect this open port has become a problem as I have suspisicions that some one is remotely accessing my computer. Are there a couple SIMPLE things that I can do to be better protected? I have at VPN installed but have never used it because I simple do not understand it. I also know that some use stunnel but, once again, its difficult for me to figure out.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What evidence do you have of this remote access?

Blue Iris should be keeping a log of incoming connections. You should be able to look at that to see if anyone unauthorized is connecting to Blue Iris, and if they are still connected you can see if they have managed to download any video frames. It is unlikely that someone will be able to access your computer using Blue Iris as an attack vector.

More likely, if someone is accessing your computer without authorization:

1) It could be someone you know.
2) If you have any kind of remote access software running (e.g. TeamViewer, Splashtop, VNC, MS Remote Desktop) then it is possible someone got in through that.
3) If you have UPnP enabled in your router, then it is possible (likely, even) your cameras have been hacked, and a compromised camera could be used to access anything on your private home network. Disable UPnP. Ideally, don't allow internet access to devices that don't need internet access. Such as cameras.

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Were would I find the log? I suspect because BI creates an anonymous user with no password on its own even after I delete them. Twice while sitting at my computer I heard the audible login sound. I will look into your #2 above. This may a vulnerability. #3: I disabled NAT Port Mapping Protocol on my Airport Extreme.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In Blue Iris there is a button with 3 bars on it, at the top. Click that and it brings up a dialog that contains the log ("Messages" tab) and an active connections list ("Connections" tab).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Anonymous user should have its "LAN Only" box checked, and then you have nothing to worry about. This is a normal part of Blue Iris. This Anonymous account is used for remote access if you have authentication disabled in Blue Iris Options > Web Server.