BI randomly shuts down \ drops Port Forwarding

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Really two issues been having for a while. I'm on BI 5.2.9.2 x64.
I do not check the BI computer all that often, so I do not know exactly when it occurs, but BI is randomly closing out on any given day \ time.
It is not a huge deal but of course is frustrating when one of the few times I want to check a recording, I find the program has been shut down for several days or more and I missed the event.
Today I wanted to find out just who ate half of a cantaloupe melon in my garden and when I checked, BI has been closed out for a few days. When it is running this version works fine as expected and does what I want it to do so I do.
I have done some basics like rebooting, running the compact\repair\maintenance option in BI. This is installed on a clean Windows 10 system install on an SSD a couple years ago. The computer is not all that "old", but currently not eligible for a Win 11 upgrade.
Also the UPnP port forwarding so I can see it via the phone app, also randomly goes away and I have to walk through the wizard to reconnect it. These two issues are mutually exclusive in that either can happen independent of the other.
No Windows or BI error message appears when it closes out. If there could be Windows system logs showing when it shut down or possibly why, I am not really versed in knowing how to find that kind of information or what to look for systemically for clues.

I don't want to have to add another manual task to my day of always remembering to check if BI is running so any thoughts of how I should go about tracking down the causes of these two issues would be appreciated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The simple solution is to run BI as a service. Using that technique, BI will automagically restart if it crashes or stops and load itself and be up an running whenever the PC is booted/re-booted.

I've been running BI for years and never had that problem. My guess is there's something specific going on with your setup. Make sure that virus scans are not being done on the BI directory on your C drive or on the drives/directories where you're storing your video. I'll also assume that you've gone through the information in the WiKi to maximize BI performance and that you are using sub streams to minimize CPU utilization.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What are the specs on the computer you're using for BI? How long has BI worked for on that computer before it started crashing? Are you running BI as a service? If you run it as a service BI will automatically restart when it crashes (assuming the computer is not frozen). I don't use UPNP for remote viewing so I can't help you with that. Considering configuring a VPN.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks
I've used BI for several years now, around when V4 came out. Yes, I have gone through the Wiki on more than one occasion to max performance which did really help a lot when having high CPU issues a long while back.
When V5 came out I did a fresh Windows HDD wipe and install. No other app or system issues appearing. No other programs shut down but this is the only one that runs 24/7. I will read up on how to run it as a service. That sounds like a good enough solution for that issue for now until I can figure out how to track or log or something to catch when it happens.
The UpNp port forwarding, I know is a bit of no-no here security\privacy wise but it is simple and works when it works.

Reaction score
What are the specs on the computer? Is it a 4th generation intel? I have 2 4th gen i7’s that I’ve had nothing but problems with due to memory leaks that started with recent updates in the past year ish. And that’s with intel HA disabled. I found that those systems can run for about a month before I have to reboot them. Those systems will be getting updated in the very near future.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
TO make BI run as a service, click on the gear icon on the upper left of the console. Select the Startup tab. Clock on the box to run as a service. You will need to supply a login password, the same password as the user that installed BI uses. Exit out of the console, close BI, then re-start BI. It will be running as a service.

Have you looked at the error logs of Windows to see what is happening when BI stops running?

If you have an Asus router, or several other brands of router for that matter, installing and using a VPN is quite simple and involves nothing more than checking a box in the router config, saving the client.cfg file, installing the VPN client on your remote device(s) and adding the client.cfg file to that client application. Maybe ten minutes of "work" the first time it's done.

Secure Network

VPN Primer

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also the UPnP port forwarding so I can see it via the phone app, also randomly goes away and I have to walk through the wizard to reconnect it.
So the forwarded port in the router "randomly goes away"?
If so, next time you go through BI's remote connection wizard and it's working OK on the BI app (phone not on your LAN's Wi-Fi but on cellular only), try logging into the router's webGUI and turning off/disabling uPNP and then "save" and see how that works out.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My setup is: Win10 i7-6700 w 24GB RAM

Yes, the port forward in BI just randomly disappears. I know when it drops because the BI phone app won't connect. I check BI on the computer and it's just not there. I click to add and t is back for a while.
Router is provided by my internet provider. This is a new \ different model, (Zyxel C4000 Wi-Fi6) but same thing happened w the older model last year too, (Zyxel C3000). I just disabled UPnP on the router and will hang out to see what happens the next few days.

Regarding Running as a service. Interesting it will not accept my user password? Is this another password not associated with the user ID? I checked the User tab and the password for my User ID that appeared in the box when clicking run as a service was what I'd entered.

Regarding looking at error logs. No idea how to do that properly. I did a quick google search which pointed me to the Event Viewer. No idea what to look for in there or if there is a search feature I could not find it. I scrolled through a bunch of messages under Windows \ Applications folder and the 2nd error I found, the detail was gibberish to me but did reference BI as the "faulting application name".
See screen print.

BI_ERROR.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just disabled UPnP on the router and will hang out to see what happens the next few days.
Fingers crossed!

BI can only configure the router's port forwards via uPNP, I believe, so if that's disabled in the router even a glitch in BI's uPNP technique should not erase the port forwarding in the router.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
When I said the user password I should have specified the user password that was used to install Windows, IE an admin password. Not your BI password.