BI ONVIF alerts and Clone Masters

NielK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been using the built-in IVS on my 5442 cameras - it's really helpful at this time of year when leaves, spiders and the central heating exhaust can generate a lot of BI motion alerts.

To test out IVS, I cloned a camera and configured one of the cameras to use BI motion detection (CAM_BI_MOTION) and the other to use the built-in IVS alerting (CAM_IVS_ALERTS). The camera IVS alerting is fine and reliably records events to the camera's SD card.

If you don't tell BI which camera should be the Clone Master, it randomly assigns one of them as the master. This led to a load of confusion on my part because BI was not responding to the IVS alerts (that were being recorded on the Camera's SD card). What I discovered is:
  • If you want BI to act on ONVIF alerts from a cloned camera, make sure that camera is set as a Clone Master.

If the CAM_IVS_ALERTS camera is set as the Clone Master, BI acts on the ONVIF alerts generated by the camera and records the clips as expected. But if the CAM_IVS_ALERTS camera is not the Clone Master, BI ignores the ONIVF alerts from the camera. (FWIW, it's fine if they are both configured as Clone Masters.) On my setup at least, it is entirely consistent and repeatable across all of my cameras.

Anybody else experienced this? I couldn't find anything about this issue in the BI help or in the forum.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recently started trying to have different alerts from cloned cameras, to cover different areas and times. I had little success due to a BI issue that was fixed. This may have also been an issue. I have it now working, but have the cloned cameras using BI motion and DS, and the primary cameras using IVS. Hmmm...... I may try this some more.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks so much for pointing this out. I have had a problem with one of my Dahua PTZ cams with IVS not working. I changed it to a clone master, and now it is operational. This needs to be in BI help file. Need to buy you a beer. THANKS for posting!

Last edited:

NielK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you do this BI will process both streams increasing cpu usage and network load as noted in the help file screenshot above.
Yes indeed. I was just noting that the ONVIF alerts continued to work even with multiple clone masters. I could usefuly have also noted that having multiple clone masters isn't a smart thing to do, for the very reason that you have highlighted.