BI Motion Help!

Gdfein

n3wb
Reaction score
I have one of my exterior cameras position on back patio so that it can see both doors and the large windows. My patio has two ceiling fans that run 24/7 as it discourages nesting bugs and critters.

However the fan motion appears to constantly trigger motion as this camera throws constant alerts.

Im still very new to BI and camera so looking for help. Attached is a snip of what I’m dealing with.

View attachment trim.6A051DAA-4B85-48CF-94BE-E17E927D3668.MOV
appreciate any advice.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally, I would lower that cam about 1.5-3ft with conduit and a wall mount which would solve the fan issue. But if you have another camera pointed in this same location you could make a group with only this camera and have the other camera that is pointed in this direction trigger this camera (group) with motion. Another option is to use DeepStack AI and filter out the motion alerts with AI to only trigger real events with object detection. Another option would be to make a mask over the fan, you would have about 90% of your doors in the mask though.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera is definitely too high, especially for the nearest door. It also illustrates that two cameras are probably required if you really want to be able to identify an unknown person.

Gdfein

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I should have clarified that moving where the camera is mounted or lowering it from a pole are nonstarters. This sits flush mounted (turret cam) on the masonary ceiling of the patio so relocating would leave an unsightly hole I’m not easily able to patch so the camera angle and less than ideal intrusion ID is something I just gotta deal with.

I’m looking for suggestions on motion detection settings within BI that will stop the fan from triggering so many false positives.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With that mounting position the fan is in a direct line with the far door. Your only choice is to remove the far door from the detection pattern. No adjustment of object size, motion duration or contrast will help with a constantly moving object. The only solutions are to move the camera so it doesn't see the motion or eliminate that area from motion detection. This is why it is important to use a test rig and test a location before permanently mounting a camera.

Last edited:

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If lowering the cam isn't an option, and you don't have another cam pointed in that same direction that you could use to trigger it using Trigger camera groups, just make a mask over the fan, if someone was to come into that area they would have to walk in an area that isn't masked, unless they entered the area coming out from inside the house.

Right click the cam in BI>Camera Settings>Trigger>Check the box for Motion Sensor>click Configure>Check box for Use hotspots and zones>Edit>Then Invert and use the brush to remove the yellow grid from the fan in the image.

Then fire who ever picked that location to install a camera. If it was you and you took on this project yourself I'd be willing to bet you end up moving the cam to a lower location sometime in the next 12-24 months once you learn this software and start replacing cams with whatever cams are top of the line at the time.

Last edited: