BI Mobile Can't Connect to Server when ExpressVPN Activated on PC on Home Network

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Verizon FIOS router (GP1100) and do NOT have a VPN on the router. I haven't done anything to the router except set Port Forwarding to: TCP any -> 81.
I use these three devices for computing on this network:

1) Windows 10 PC dedicated to Blue Iris. Hardwired to the router.
2) Windows 10 PC for everyday use. Connects via Wi-Fi. I have ExpressVPN installed on this device to hide my outgoing IP address.
3) Chromebook. Connects via Wi-Fi and I also have ExpressVPN on this device

I use the Blue Iris Mobile app on my android phone and it works great. However, whenever I turn on ExpressVPN on my everyday PC and try to connect to BI on my android phone, I get the "Unable to Reach Server" error. Then, when I turn off ExpressVPN, I can connect as usual. Interestingly, if I turn on ExpressVPN on my chromebook, it doesn't cause the problem. This occurs for both LAN and WAN connections. FWIW, I still receive push notifications on my phone even when it can't connect to the server. And, when I can't connect, I've gone to canyouseeme.org and it can see me on Port 81.

I'm not an IT guy so all I can assume is that ExpressVPN is doing something to the router which is blocking BI mobile from connecting to the server. But, only from the Windows PC and not the chromebook.

Any ideas what to look for or how to fix this?

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An outbound vpn will block an inbound connection. With an outbound vpn all the traffic to a server, that then send it to the end url address. The VPN server in the middle will not know about the phone.

By the way Outbound VPNs with a server in the middle are pure useless crap. Why do you get ads from another site for products you are looking for when using a VPN. They do not work . They are collecting your information and selling it. They do not own there servers, so they have no control over the server security.

=========================

A video on the paid VPN.
------------------------------------------------------
Hacked VPNs
-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the links -- very useful!
I'm still confused though. Why does the outbound VPN on the chromebook not block the inbound connection?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is not blocking it, it more than likely mis routing. Not sure from your description is the chromebook connecting to the expressVPN. Or is the chrome book runn g the openvpn client.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both the Chromebook and my everyday PC run the ExpressVPN client (but no VPN on the Blue Iris PC). Nothing is installed on the router. Depending on whether the VPN is turned on/off on each device, one might have the Verizon IP address and the other have the VPN address, or both might have the same IP. The Blue Iris PC always has the Verizon IP address. Does that help to clarify?