BI hardware review and could I do better?

davekra

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been searching for all the hardware/software optimization tips I can find to make my system run as efficiently as possible and I think I've reached the end (or at least a point that I'm comfortable with).

I've got CPU utilization down from 50% to under 20% and it's giving me what I want in terms of motion detection and alarms.

I've got four 4mp cameras continuous recording at 10fps direct to disk for a total of 200mp/s. The end system will have eight cameras and probably double the mp/s to ~400-450mp/s.
I believe my current i5-3570k running Windows Server 2012R2 will cope but could I reduce the current consumption enough to warrant buying a new PC?
The system is consuming just under 90watts. I've got four drives spinning (4.5Tb total) and a second network card in the machine. At 14cents/kwh that works out to $110/year. Even if I drop to 50watts, it would take 6 years to break even on a $300 machine.

So, what do you think? Buy a new machine now, consolidate the three data drives currently used into one new one or something else?

Thanks,
davidk