BI/Deepstack haven't alerted on a car pulling into driveway - need help answering "why?"

mad-maks

n3wb
Reaction score
Something interesting happened last night and Im struggling to understand what is the potential root cause.
Im running BlueIris / Deepstack with the custom night time model and haven't really noticed any issues with object detection or alerts UNTILL last night.
Car pulled into the driveway in the middle of the night and spend sometime there trying to make a U-turn, but I got no alerts. Nothing on alerts tab in BI, checked Cancelled alerts but nothing there either. No Cancelled alerts is probably can be explained by "Hide cancelled alert on time line" option being checked (uncooked for now). I got curious and started looking at the footage in details (Im recording continuously). Car movements have been recorded. Using "Start frame" / "End frame" I created a short clip and used "Tuning and Testing" -> "Analyze with Deepstack". Deepstack found a car and motorcycle with confidence fluctuating 51%-89%. In camera settings I have confidence set to 50% and Deepstack is configured to alert on both "car" and "Car". So.... what happened to alerts?
Does anybody have any idea what to look for or potential root cause(s).

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If BI didn't "see" the car, AKA it didn't trigger, DS got no image to identify. Look at the settings for motion detection on that camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tuning and live DS analysis are two separate things at the moment. Tuning will always find more because it is after the fact analysis and not real time needing to process quickly.

Camera make and model?

Do you have the reset option checked in BI motion and the headlights reset it?

Do the iframes match FPS?

Last edited:

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is no correlation between the number that deepstack reports for an object, and the number that you have set for "Minimum Confidence". There is not a direct link.

Drop your Min Confidence number down to 40 and then increase as you debug your settings.

mad-maks

n3wb
Reaction score
Tuning and live DS analysis are two separate things at the moment. Tuning will always find more because it is after the fact analysis and not real time needing to process quickly.

Camera make and model?

Do you have the reset option checked in BI motion and the headlights reset it?

Do the iframes match FPS?
Its 5442T-ZE. Yes, iFrames match FPS and FPS settings for sub stream are the same as for main one.

Where is that option exactly?

mad-maks

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no correlation between the number that deepstack reports for an object, and the number that you have set for "Minimum Confidence". There is not a direct link.

Drop your Min Confidence number down to 40 and then increase as you debug your settings.
Yup. Did lower the confidence number already.

mad-maks

n3wb
Reaction score
If BI didn't "see" the car, AKA it didn't trigger, DS got no image to identify. Look at the settings for motion detection on that camera.
Right, that's exactly my train of thoughts. But is there a sure way to verify if motion got triggered? Because I had the "Hide cancelled alerts" enabled, I don't see anything in "Alerts" section.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@mad-maks If there's nothing in the unconfirmed alerts list then BI didn't trigger. Get that working properly first, otherwise you're chasing your tail fooling with DS. Incidentally, I run DS with a confidence level of 5% and have yet to have a detection confidence reported being lower than 45%. YMMV

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post screenshots of your motion detection settings so we can see if we notice an issue with that.

Or use the AI within that camera instead of DS?

Many of us have found it at the moment to be more reliable than DS. Of course field of view impacts that. YMMV.

mad-maks

n3wb
Reaction score
Post screenshots of your motion detection settings so we can see if we notice an issue with that.

Or use the AI within that camera instead of DS?

Many of us have found it at the moment to be more reliable than DS. Of course field of view impacts that. YMMV.

Here is what I had configured (I changed confidence level to 5% since that):
1624234479198.png1624234561429.png1624234751272.png1624234686701.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have anything going on in the motion detection tab? I'd cut the trigger time down to .5 seconds and, if it produces too many false triggers, raise it .1 at a time. I have a number of cameras running for vehicle/person detection with a trigger time of .3

I'd also switch to H.264 and CBR on both the main and sub streams. I'd raise the bit rate on the main stream to 8192 and the sub stream to 1024. The 5442 seems to produce better video at higher bit rates. That can impact storage, but not all that much IMHO.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The pros can weight in here but the sub frame resolution is pretty low and at 1fps I imagine it would be hard to calculate movement based on those configurations.

The more experienced guys can answer but doesn’t the trigger events use subframe stream for movement trigger?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, BI uses sub streams, when sub streams are enabled and configured in BI, for motion detection. BI also depends on a "key" frame, iframe, ratio of 1 for that motion detection. To increase the "key" frame, iframe, rate the iframe rate would need to be reduced rather than increased. All of my cameras are set to a key frame ration of 1 and work fine.

mad-maks

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have anything going on in the motion detection tab? I'd cut the trigger time down to .5 seconds and, if it produces too many false triggers, raise it .1 at a time. I have a number of cameras running for vehicle/person detection with a trigger time of .3

I'd also switch to H.264 and CBR on both the main and sub streams. I'd raise the bit rate on the main stream to 8192 and the sub stream to 1024. The 5442 seems to produce better video at higher bit rates. That can impact storage, but not all that much IMHO.
Motion Detection tab in the camera settings? Video Detection is not enabled and Smart Motion Detection is not enabled

I changed BI settings and Encoding/Bit rate in the camera settings

I‘lol give this setup sometime and will keep a close eye on it. I will also do some “field” tests

Thank you for the advices!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No I mean the object detection tab in BI on the page where you're setting object size and contrast in BI. Normally object detection is only used for major scene lighting changes.