BI Computer Setup Help

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good afternoon, hope all is well. I will apologize up-front for the long post. As shown with my recent drive issues (Drive Overallocation Issues), I have come to the conclusion that I need to perform a fresh install of Windows onto my BI-dedicated PC. Still cannot figure out why my C-drive is filled up completely; either a bad drive or driver as mentioned in the posts.

I know that the issues I am experiencing were created by the rush job I did when I first set up this PC. However, now that I have more time on my hands and am at home for the foreseeable future, I plan on doing this right, something I should have done before, but was pressed on time. I have ordered a new 500GB SSD to use for my C-drive; I have also ordered a new WD purple 8TB for the BI videos. I also plan on adding a little bit more memory to the PC, amount undetermined at this time. I know it’s probably overkill, but with the current issues with this PC, I would rather spring for a little overkill.

With that being said, I have already researched the Wiki pages for optimization and eliminating driver updates (Wiki - Driver). I also plan on implementing the allocation plan as found in several threads (SouthernYankee BI Allocation). However, I am needing assistance on how to further protect the system for the foreseeable future as well as how to properly close out some issues before changing hardware.

Prior to Shutdown:
  • I know I will need to stop the BI service and make a copy of the executable. However, I also believe that I need to deactivate the current license and export the settings via the main BI Settings page, correct?
  • Is there anything further I need to do on my end to prevent any issues with loading BI on the new setup?

Installing the New Hardware:
  • I know that I will need to format both drives (SSD and surveillance drive). I can do so by using the USB/SATA plug I have when I have cloned drives in the past. However, should I just perform the standard format, or is there anything advanced that I should perform?
  • Going along with the prior question, should I setup the partitions any particular way for these drives?

After New Hardware Installation and Startup:
  • I am assuming that I need to follow the driver update disabling as mentioned in the Wiki. However, is it best to also eliminate future Windows updates? If so, what is the best and most complete course of action?
  • I currently have Deepstack installed on my PC with only a couple of models like the DayPlate and NightPlate recognition in place. Would this be a good time to switch out and go with CodeProject? I really didn’t even have a lot of experience with Deepstack, so is CodeProject the “norm” or most-recommended? From what I have read, it seems as though it is newer and supported more to include updates and model building/training from the end user side. Any success or horror stories either way?
  • In order to reactivate BI on the new drive, is there any specific process I should follow, or do I just download the program and import the registries/backups, etc?

Future Projects:
  • My current network is the ISP going into an EdgeRouter X. In that router, I have the different VLANs configured to separate out devices. My cameras do not see the internet at all; the BI computer VLAN has internet access and can only access the camera VLAN. With this setup, the BI system pushes notifications through the BI app on my phone. Is this still considered OK, or is there a more secure option? I’ve seen mention of Pushover, but I’d like to eliminate my electronic footprint as much as possible w/o signing up for another service.
  • Still having issues with configuring Wireguard on the EdgeRouter-X, but will keep that post to another thread.

Any assistance/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited:

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any advice or thoughts of wisdom?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you haven't already figured this out, put everything except the BI-new directory on the SSD C: drive. Put the new directory on the hard disk. Do not use a "storage" directory, so all of your video files go into "new" and stay there until overwritten. Another piece of advice I saw that sounds good (I haven't done it yet) is to make the cluster size on the hard disk a lot bigger than the default (4k I think). Perhaps as large as a megabyte, to reduce the number of I/O operations.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, all good on that portion of the C drive. I normally have the New folder on the purple drive and the db and program for BI on C drive. Will just be using new and alert folders instead of peeing away cpu cycles. Hadn’t heard or thought of the changing of the cluster sizes. Is there a recommended size to use for a Blue Iris pc? Haven’t had a chance to search threads just yet for that piece of info. Thanks for the advice!

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Never mind; I found the post about cluster size. Looks like it’s in the post I linked to earlier lol. Man my mind is fried these days. Anyway thanks for bringing that to my attention

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another possibility is to start with a fresh install of windows on the SSD. Used this Windows's process to fix issues with a 13 year old Gateway desktop with a spinner.

Purchased a new WD Blue 1 TB SATA SSD ($75). Installed using the connections from the spinner. Then used the Microsoft guide on replacing the OS. Nothing was transferred from the spinner to the new SSD. However, once the SSD is installed files could be transferred from the spinner to the SSD if desired. Or some use Macrium Free for this process.

"You need to create a bootable USB, then boot your PC form that.

Click this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Then run the media Creation tool that downloads and select the option to create a USB (must be at least 8 GB and when used MS will wipe out any existing files on the USB stick)

Wait for that process to complete.

Then, Boot your PC from the Installation Media you just created (change Boot Order in your BIOS) to begin installing Windows 11

Since you previously had Windows 11 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers"

Did this twice on the same computer. Once for the existing spinner to wipe out all the files and again for the SSD.

Last edited:

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great info thank you. This pc was a refurbished one that had windows 10 installed by the dealer on Amazon. I cannot find a key so I’m hoping I don’t have any issue with moving ahead on the clean install. Looks like from your post that I may be able just bypass the activation by following the steps. Since I am running this pc headless and will just remote into it guess I need to go back with windows 10 pro.
Definitely going to strip anything and everything off of this computer with the exception of BI and Norton security. Everything else to include updates will be turned off; just need to research how to stop all updates to the PC and I will be good to move forward.
Thanks again!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Windows key is baked into the BIOS, so you won't have an issue doing a clean install.

No need to even have Norton on it - you have to exclude BI from antivirus anyway and as long as you are not doing anything else on the computer, Defender that comes with the computer is more than enough.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, didn’t know it was in the bios. So even with me switching out the SSD, I should have no problem as long as I perform the steps as listed in the post by @Alaska Country, right?
If Windows Defender is good enough, then I’ll deactivate portion and switch to another computer. Thanks @wittaj
Guess something else I am going to dive into will be CodeProject. I’ve had Deepstack on the pc for a while but never had a chance to time it up. About the time I actually installed it, I had to leave town for a while. So not a whole lot of tuning occurred with that lol.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct. I recently "upgraded" to an 8th gen and swapped out the SSD with an NVMe SSD and used Media Creation Tool and no problems.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The nice part of using the media creation tool is that it will create the necessary partitions on the SSD for you and install the new OS. Then if needed, one can always divide up the SSD into smaller partitions.

It may take some time to download to the USB drive, depending on your download speed. Take note of the "F" key combination needed to access the BIOS settings. Usually that shows up when the computer is booted up. It could be F12 or some other number.

There are a lot of how to guides, on the net, for this procedure. Review a few to get the feel for the overall process. Plus more on YouTube.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The nice part of using the media creation tool is that it will create the necessary partitions on the SSD for you and install the new OS. Then if needed, one can always divide up the SSD into smaller partitions.

It may take some time to download to the USB drive, depending on your download speed. Take note of the "F" key combination needed to access the BIOS settings. Usually that shows up when the computer is booted up. It could be F12 or some other number.

There are a lot of how to guides, on the net, for this procedure. Review a few to get the feel for the overall process. Plus more on YouTube.
Will definitely research; don’t want to make the same mistake I did initially by rushing through. Thanks for the info @Alaska Country !