BI auto start after reboot

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just installed Win 10 Home on my BI computer. One of the downsides as you know is no control of automatic download and install of Win updates. I'm sure I 'm not the first to face this problem.

So, what steps can I take to auto start BI after an unwanted reboot?

Looks like a couple of options is running BI as a service (something I've never worked with) or maybe Blue Iris Tools. I would appreciate any step by step suggestions?

kbhenze

n3wb
Reaction score
Settings, update and Security-Windows update-advanced options-notify to scheduled results This will let you chose when to update. Will not re-boot.
I use BI as a service with no problems, some on here have had issues that way if the computer re-boot BI will be running. From BI setting - Startup click run BI as sevice.

Reaction score
Control-Alt-Delete, Task Manager- Services- Open services- Scroll down to Windows Updates- Right click, Properties- go to option "Startup type" and select Disabled. Windows updates will no longer function until you manually enable it again.

Reaction score
To answer your original question, run BI as a service and BI tools as a backup. Personally, I would never use BI without running it as a service.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't run as a service because of some of the limitations. BIT takes care of the restart very well. I test by letting BIT take care of the BI restart each time I reboot and it has never failed. Plus, I get an email when it does so I know if it needed to restart unattended.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The only limitation I know of for running BI as a service is that on Windows 7 only it won't be able to use hardware accelerated h264 decoding. Do you know of any other limitations specifically?

Otherwise it is great to run BI as a service because it will allow BI to start before there is even a user logged in to the system, and you can't accidentally leave your cameras disabled by closing BI and walking away.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly you can't use BIcommand when running as a service.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Settings, update and Security-Windows update-advanced options-notify to scheduled results This will let you chose when to update. Will not re-boot.
I use BI as a service with no problems, some on here have had issues that way if the computer re-boot BI will be running. From BI setting - Startup click run BI as sevice.
Win 10 Pro version has "defer upgrades" on the advanced options. Home versions does not have a way to defer an update (and reboot). It will however allow "when to schedule reboot" but I don't think you can defer for more than a few days.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Control-Alt-Delete, Task Manager- Services- Open services- Scroll down to Windows Updates- Right click, Properties- go to option "Startup type" and select Disabled. Windows updates will no longer function until you manually enable it again.
I made this change. We will see if it works on Home edition. thanks

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. Looks like there is some good evidence for both BI Tools and running as a service. Think I'll try running as a service first since it only involves making a minor change in BI settings.

I looked at Fenderman's link and I'm not sure I understand that process.