BI app not working

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
when i first installed the BI app on my motorola Droid Turbo a month or so ago it worked great. Then one day it would not connect to my server. I turned the wifi on my phone off and it connected. Continued to have similar problems. Then one day it would only sometimes connect when i used wifi at home. Now it does not ever connect outside my home network.

i originally went to the question mark below the connect/edit buttons and used send feedback to support to email them and explain my problems. they returned an email a few days later which said, "Please send your support details from the Options/About page by using the 'Email Support' button"

i do not beleive there is a OPTIONS/About page. so i am completely lost. seems awful frustrating.

Meanwhile i can connect using the UI2 webpage or any of the other webpages...but as most have witnessed i am sure you know that this is not as comforting while on a smartphone.

I have uninstalled the app, restarted my phone, and then reinstalled the app. still the same problems. works in network. will not connect outside of network.

when i turn off my wifi on the my phone and try to connect to my server using the BI app it simply says, " Unable to connect. Please try again. Reason: Unable to reach server. " . absolutely nothing has changed since it previously worked fine. so i am not sure what i could possibly do next to troubleshoot this issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
when i first installed the BI app on my motorola Droid Turbo a month or so ago it worked great. Then one day it would not connect to my server. I turned the wifi on my phone off and it connected. Continued to have similar problems. Then one day it would only sometimes connect when i used wifi at home. Now it does not ever connect outside my home network.

i originally went to the question mark below the connect/edit buttons and used send feedback to support to email them and explain my problems. they returned an email a few days later which said, "Please send your support details from the Options/About page by using the 'Email Support' button"

i do not beleive there is a OPTIONS/About page. so i am completely lost. seems awful frustrating.

Meanwhile i can connect using the UI2 webpage or any of the other webpages...but as most have witnessed i am sure you know that this is not as comforting while on a smartphone.

I have uninstalled the app, restarted my phone, and then reinstalled the app. still the same problems. works in network. will not connect outside of network.

when i turn off my wifi on the my phone and try to connect to my server using the BI app it simply says, " Unable to connect. Please try again. Reason: Unable to reach server. " . absolutely nothing has changed since it previously worked fine. so i am not sure what i could possibly do next to troubleshoot this issue.
click on the gear on the top left...blue iris options>about
Are you sure you properly entered the ip address in the blue iris app as well as the port?
what kind of modem/router do you have, its it a modem router combo?

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
on the server login screen there is no gear in the top left. I turned my wifi on and logged in via wifi and there is no gear in the top left once you are in the app and connected either. once connected to the server there is three lines in the top left. still no options/about. or either or.

I am using a netgear router. WNR1000v2.

yes i have checked the ip address and the port. all of which is automatic when you enter the first 5 and last 5 digits of your BI license in to the app. Nevertheless i did check it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
on the server login screen there is no gear in the top left. I turned my wifi on and logged in via wifi and there is no gear in the top left once you are in the app and connected either. once connected to the server there is three lines in the top left. still no options/about. or either or.

I am using a netgear router. WNR1000v2.

yes i have checked the ip address and the port. all of which is automatic when you enter the first 5 and last 5 digits of your BI license in to the app. Nevertheless i did check it.
yes, there is...we are talking about the server application NOT mobile app!!!!...it is the second icon from the left...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
also, manually enter your external ip and test...google what is my ip address...
ensure you enter the proper port as well ipaddress:port
ensure you have the box checked to register ip in the blue iris options>about tab.

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ok i have determined that my wan ip address is or was the problem. If i understand this correctly...it is changing when ever i restart the computer or my router. If so how do you keep this from being a problem? dynamic ip address on the router?

i am already using a ddns.net web url for my webpages .... and it works...but i tried to put in the ddns.net url in the app and it does not work.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok i have determined that my wan ip address is or was the problem. If i understand this correctly...it is changing when ever i restart the computer or my router. If so how do you keep this from being a problem? dynamic ip address on the router?

i am already using a ddns.net web url for my webpages .... and it works...but i tried to put in the ddns.net url in the app and it does not work.
you need to put enter the port after the address:XXXX

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so far putting my dynamic dns solution seems to be the trick. all working as of now. thanks for the info. Surprisingly i had already thought of this and attempted to use the dynamic dns but for whatever reason it did not work. now it is working fine. i must of entered it wrong before somehow.