BI and UI3 Remote Access - The Video Stream Was Lost

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Appear that if I remote login from my laptop using OpenVPN then going using UI3 or RDP it isn't a problem. But if I use my mobile phone (WiFi or cell tower) to OpenVPN > UI3 the server crashes. You can see below the log I took a snapshot of from my laptop just after the server crashed when I tried to use my mobile phone. I assume at this point there's an issue with UI3 on the mobile phone. Any ideas?

1690637144117.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Odd that the server goes down. Does it happen from your phone using both UI3 and the app? But UI3 from the laptop is OK?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
OpenVPN > UI3 and OpenVPN > RDP > BI both work from my laptop.

OpenVPN > UI3 via WiFi or mobile data from my mobile phone both exhibit the problem. Was working fine until yesterday.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
OpenVPN > UI3 via WiFi or mobile data from my mobile phone both exhibit the problem. Was working fine until yesterday.
Is the latter when using the app or a browser from your phone? Or both?

ETA: Oh, sorry... not reading well. So from OpenVPN > mobile browser > UI3.

I could see some connection or other local problem at phone end. Not sure why it would kill the server as you showed in the logs.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, weird that I get that error just when using the mobile phone then it reboots. Was working fine for two weeks while on the road.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Now I'm back in Orlando after being on the road for two weeks and had a chance to dig deeper. When I had the issue above I was at my parents' house and trying to access my system at home. So now that I'm back home I did the reverse. I noticed that I was able to do the same test on my mobile phone to access my parents' system without a problem. This clearly meant the problem was with the BI server and not my mobile phone. I looked to see if there were any program updates at about the time the problem started. I noted that TeamViewer had been updated at the time the issue began. I uninstalled TeamViewer as I use RDP and really have no need for TeamViewer. I rebooted the system and viola! See below and note the words "Deepstack: timeout" when the issue was prevalent. Then, after the reboot note that Deepstack no longer times out. I have no idea how a TeamViewer update could have messed with Deepstack much less cause the server to choke and reboot. Anyhow, problem solved.

1690930232250.png

David Messenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been having a similar issue for a few months now. I've got 8 cameras and have been running them with no issues for several years. I have all my cameras running through a single POE switch. Since I didn't notice any other network problems, I thought maybe my switch was bad since it is installed in a hot attic and is a couple of years old. I bought a new switch and thought I had the problem solved, but that was not it. I tried making sure all my cameras were recording directly to disk, limited the frame rates and lowered the quality of the recordings. Nothing seemed to help.
I am using an ASUS RT-AX88U router so I believed the router capability was not the problem. I updated my firmware again hoping that might be it. Then I ran a wi-fi analyzer on my network. I'm using my 5Ghz network for most of my connections so I looked at the 5Ghz band first. I noticed a lot of congestion in the channel I was using (149) and wondered if interference from other networks was causing the problem. I logged in to my router and changed the channel to one that was much less congested (165 in this case). I did that last night and I have not seen the issue since then. There is a group of townhomes next to my house so I think the odds are good that my problem stems from a large number of routers transmitting on the same channel that I was using that are well within range of my router.
If you are having this problem, you might want to look into whether this might be your issue. My cameras worked very well for a long time until someone probably moved in to a house or apartment nearby and started broadcasting with high power on the same channel I was using. That can interfere with your network in a way that looks similar to an impending or existing hardware problem.
The reason the wireless channel affected all the cameras on that switch is because the computer that hosts the Blue Iris server is connected wirelessly to the router by wi-fi 6 connection. The adapter is an Intel AX 200 which usually maintains a connection speed of more than 700 Mbps. Even though all the cameras were connected via ethernet, they were affected by the interference with the wireless connection to the server.

Last edited: