BI 5.5.6.15 Doesn't Trigger On This Motion?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm just setting up a new site, so most things are set to defaults, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how BI did NOT trigger on this motion. When I review the New clip in UI3, I get lots of yellow rectangles, but no orange rectangles:

Default settings for motion detection and zones:

Later events on the same camera triggered properly, so the feature is turned on, but it didn't trigger on this very obvious, very large, very contrasty motion this morning.

Am I missing something extremely obvious?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Shut off, uncheck, "object detection". Just a guess but I'll bet the lighting change was seen by object detection so it ignored the motion detection.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update:

I left the setting unchanged for one day, just to be sure it was a repeatable problem and not just a one-off. And the next day I got the same result; employee comes in, and does not get detected.

So I made both of these changes:
Shut off, uncheck, "object detection". Just a guess but I'll bet the lighting change was seen by object detection so it ignored the motion detection.
also use the simple algorithm not edge vector. You might want to change your alarm code as anyone who knows you and sees the video now has your code.
The following morning, my employee was detected as he came in. As he was also this morning.

But then, 5 minutes later, he comes back to put a key in the deadbolt, and there is no motion detected:

Detection settings are at the same defaults as screen-captured above, e.g. Min Size: 550, Min Contrast: 40, Min Duration: 1.0.

Is this setting hiding somewhere?

☑ Detect Only Large Purple Dinosaurs

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Update:

I left the setting unchanged for one day, just to be sure it was a repeatable problem and not just a one-off. And the next day I got the same result; employee comes in, and does not get detected.

So I made both of these changes:

The following morning, my employee was detected as he came in. As he was also this morning.

But then, 5 minutes later, he comes back to put a key in the deadbolt, and there is no motion detected:

Detection settings are at the same defaults as screen-captured above, e.g. Min Size: 550, Min Contrast: 40, Min Duration: 1.0.

Is this setting hiding somewhere?

☑ Detect Only Large Purple Dinosaurs
You need to follow instructions. Did you change to simple? Both movements did not make the exact same pixel changes to the video. You can also lower the duration to .7. Read the help file and understand why I gave the you advise i did. Do you know what edge vector is?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am reading the instructions, and I still don't understand how this motion is not detected.

Yes, I made both the changes suggested by you and by sebastian, e.g. un-checking Object and changing from Edge to Simple.

I just now lowered the duration to 0.7, but as you can see in the above video, he's walking across the scene for at least 3.5 - 4 seconds.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use "Test threw Motion detection" when viewing a recorded clip to see what changes you need to make. Then you can make the changes and test again. I'm going to bet you need to lower the minimum contrast some. When using the motion detection test, be sure to start playing the video a 10 seconds before the motion appears in the frame.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am reading the instructions, and I still don't understand how this motion is not detected.

Yes, I made both the changes suggested by you and by sebastian, e.g. un-checking Object and changing from Edge to Simple.

I just now lowered the duration to 0.7, but as you can see in the above video, he's walking across the scene for at least 3.5 - 4 seconds.
Did you have it on edge vector when it was not detected? In your post you indicate that the settings were the same as in the OP with edge vector.
Another improtant factor is what is your iframe interval setting? How what is the key frames BI is showing? Make sure you are not using a smart or + codec.
What camera is this?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of clarity:

Case 1: Settings as screenshotted above: ✅Object, ✅Use Zones, Edge Vector, Min Size: 550, Min Contrast: 40, Min Duration: 1.0. Result: Entry event not detected (1st YouTube video).
Case 2: Settings unchanged. Result: Entry event not detected. No YT video, but looks substantially like the first YT video.
Case 3: Object UN-checked, Algo changed from Edge Vector to Simple. Result: Entry event detected, but key insertion not detected (2nd YT video).
Current state: Duration reduced to 0.7. Awaiting results . . . .

The camera is an Amcrest IP5M-T1179E:

1651771604225.png
1651771658781.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Change min contrast to something way lower. Someone comes in with clothing close in color to the background and it will miss it. Go with like 13 and then raise if needed if getting false triggers.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The front door at my office appears to be triggering reliably now, after decreasing the required contrast.

But here's another example, from my guest house front door. Granted, it's a Reolink camera, but still . . . .

1653059985146.png
1653060117154.png
1653060052157.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's one of the problems with Reolink garbage, you can't set the Iframe correctly, which cause's blue iris to miss motion events.
You can try using simple instead of Edge Vector.
Any motion setup, you always must test and verify. Every FOV requires a different setup.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not only does Reolink play games with the iframe and frame rate, they also play with the bit rate. That makes it very difficult to achieve anything close to consistent motion detection with them.