BI - 2am Daily Database Compact \ Repair (stops recording)

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi long-time user of BI and never noticed this before, but I noticed today that BI drops recording during the 2am daily DB maintenance.

I am going to raise with support, but wondering if this is normal\expected? I use constant recording, so expected constant recording.
As a workaround now changed to once a week and selected a less important time (each of us will have out own preferred time).

Maintenance ran for 5 minutes, so I do not have recordings (not just alerts) from 2am to 2:05am.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Since the database has to be locked to perform maintenance, IE no entries can be made and no deletions can be made, so recording has to stop during maintenance. Frankly, if you're that worried about five minutes worth of recoding maybe you should consider a second, backup, system to fill in those five minutes or schedule it during a time when you can observe the console for those five minutes.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Excellent suggestions.
I don't need a backup (have SD cards in the cameras, and like the suggestion of doing it manually. I can see the help has come a long way, really should take the time to read it through again, as looks like so much work has gone into updating the documentation.
I only noticed it because a taxi van pulled up at 2pm last night, door started to open and then "nothing" for 5 minutes. We have had some incidents so night is more important for me, so just changed to 11am and will try once a week.
Thank-you for the excellent and prompt feedback.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent suggestions.
I don't need a backup (have SD cards in the cameras, and like the suggestion of doing it manually. I can see the help has come a long way, really should take the time to read it through again, as looks like so much work has gone into updating the documentation.
I only noticed it because a taxi van pulled up at 2pm last night, door started to open and then "nothing" for 5 minutes. We have had some incidents so night is more important for me, so just changed to 11am and will try once a week.
Thank-you for the excellent and prompt feedback.
I would set the compact/repair to once a week. I just ran a test on a system with about 8000 clips over 7TB of storage and it took 36 seconds. Ensure you database file is on your SSD.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would set the compact/repair to once a week. I just ran a test on a system with about 8000 clips over 7TB of storage and it took 36 seconds. Ensure you database file is on your SSD.
My DB is just under 25GB with relatively modest retention, but have had a ton of activity alerts last month.. A manual compact\repair takes around 22seconds, yes using an Intel Enterprise SSD for both the Database and Alert Images. The 5minout outage is manageable, just wasn't expected.
But thanks for the feedback.