BHPhoto for Dahua Cam purchase

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am helping a friend with their camera stuff for their house. They are considering going with BHPhoto to purchase their dahua cams.

Is BHPhoto considered a reasonable source to buy dahua cams from?
Are they an official authorized Dahua dealer? Will there be any issues upgrading firmware if bought cameras through them?

I've bought all my ubiquiti hardware from them with no issues whatsoever and in my experience, their customer service has been top notch. My dahua's were purchased from Andy of EmpireTech so thought to ask about B&HPhoto.

thanks.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd stick with Andy, but that's personal preference. I have no experience with B&H, plus you get a better selection from Andy, I think.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They are a legit seller. You will only be able to buy US region cameras not the international models.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought my first two Dahua from them. Sale prices were OK but, yes, they were the US model N44CB33. Firmware updates worked fine.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is BHPhoto considered a reasonable source to buy dahua cams from?
I know this will probably read like a rant, but I don't think it's a good value for most folks to order from B&H (or any other US reseller). Just my opinion, and I'm always up for hearing differing points.

... selection is limited. Dahua US, for whatever reason, doesn't offer many of the models that are popular on the forum, so resellers like B&H don't carry them. For example, no US versions of the 2MP Starlight vari-focal turrets (2231/5231)?!?!

... the price can be higher for the same hardware ... Dahua US does offer the 2MP Starlight fixed-lens turrets. B&H sells them for $170. Andy sells the same hardware (minus the Dahua logo being printed above the set screw) for $126.

B&H:

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 2.52.22 PM.png

ANDY:
Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 2.52.53 PM.png

... the support and warranty is the same ...

Will Dahua give you support and warranty if you buy from Andy? No.
Will Dahua give you support and warranty if you buy from B&H? No.

Dahua/Hikvision don't support end-users. Whoever sold the the camera to the end-user is responsible for helping the end-user with support and warranty. Will B&H give good support? I'd say yes. Will Andy give good support? I'd also say yes.

So with B&H's selection being limited (due to Dahua US not making many models available in the US) and the prices often being higher for the same hardware/support, what's the advantage to the average person from buying from there (vs Andy)?

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are a legit seller. You will only be able to buy US region cameras not the international models.
thanks, @fenderman
are there additional models/features available if international ?
Just trying gather details to convince my friend to get his cams through Andy :)

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thanks, @fenderman
are there additional models/features available if international ?
Just trying gather details to convince my friend to get his cams through Andy :)
Models yes, features not necessarily. If the models are same/similar then features will be same/similar. In the case of aforementioned USA model N44CB33, far as I know features are same as international model IPC-HFW4431E-S.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think that if you're able to explain to your friend that Andy has an official business relationship with Dahua that allows him to sell their hardware <usually for less> under his brand (Empire Technology) instead of under the Dahua brand, they might feel a little more comfortable.

IMO, it's not much different that what Lorex, Amcrest, etc are doing (reselling Dahua hardware under their brands). Just a smaller scale.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@aristobrat thank you for that detailed reply above. I clearly see advantages going international version route. I will certainly show your reply to my friend, then hopefully, we can place an order through Andy. BTW, reading your reply, I also learned a thing or two :)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, reading your reply, I also learned a thing or two
Just about everything I've learned about IP cameras came from this site... so hopefully I didn't get anything wrong, and alway happy to pass forward info that other folks here have shared with the community!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Models yes, features not necessarily. If the models are same/similar then features will be same/similar. In the case of aforementioned USA model N44CB33, far as I know features are same as international model IPC-HFW4431E-S.
There are certain features that are simply not available in the US line because the model is not made. For example while there is a fixed startlight turret there is no varifical starlight turret (ip camera not cvi) in the dahua USA line. So you cant get starlight, turret, varifical. I also dont believe there is a US equivalent of the 1831 and 2831 1/1.8 sensor 4k bullets that are good in low light.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are certain features that are simply not available in the US line because the model is not made. For example while there is a fixed startlight turret there is no varifical starlight turret (ip camera not cvi) in the dahua USA line. So you cant get starlight, turret, varifical. I also dont believe there is a US equivalent of the 1831 and 2831 1/1.8 sensor 4k bullets that are good in low light.
Oh, I agree, an International model not otherwise available here (in a US equivalent model) may have features not otherwise available here. I just wanted to say that simply being an International model is not itself an implication of features different from US model.