Better person and face detection. Need advise upgrade Lorex N841A8-Z to ??

homenvrip

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a Lorex 4K 8 channel model # N841A8-Z installed at my home. This system was bought from Costco in 2019. The NVR shell looks like the "Fusion" capable systems, but it is not.
The system came with 8 4K IP Deterrence bullet cameras, model #E891AB-Z.

My main issue is that the included camera (or software) are extremely bad at person detection; We get a lot of false alarms. I have fined tuned the settings and detection areas directly on the NVR (not using the mobile app). I do not believe there are any newer or compatible firmware available.
From my understanding, I cannot upgrade to the new AI/Person/Face detection cameras as the NVR will not expose any of those capabilities.

Questions:

Are there any alterative solutions while using my existing NVR?

Is there a better NRV to use with my exiting cameras?

Is the a better NVR/Camera solution (lorex or other) that I should consider?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have a Lorex 4K 8 channel model # N841A8-Z installed at my home. This system was bought from Costco in 2019. The NVR shell looks like the "Fusion" capable systems, but it is not.
The system came with 8 4K IP Deterrence bullet cameras, model #E891AB-Z.

My main issue is that the included camera (or software) are extremely bad at person detection; We get a lot of false alarms. I have fined tuned the settings and detection areas directly on the NVR (not using the mobile app). I do not believe there are any newer or compatible firmware available.
From my understanding, I cannot upgrade to the new AI/Person/Face detection cameras as the NVR will not expose any of those capabilities.

Questions:

Are there any alterative solutions while using my existing NVR?

Is there a better NRV to use with my exiting cameras?

Is the a better NVR/Camera solution (lorex or other) that I should consider?
Hi @homenvrip

AI .. there are so many advancements now in AI that anyone selling a camera and NVR can not keep the kit up to date due to the economics of it.

Thus, if you need better AI .. I would look at using something like Blue Iris with an AI add-on.

I am not a big user of that tech, so you will want to see what the pros here are doing with it.

I understand it is possible to use an NVR as well as a Blue Iris VMS on a PC to process the video .. ( again, others would need to chime in, as this is just the info I recall reading here on the topic )

In terms of DORI .. make certain where you want to be able to ID someone they are within the I of the DORI range ( see the cliff notes for more on DORI )

AI should also have ppf requirements to detect faces as well as angle to the face ( so you need to check the position as well as the FOV and pixels on target )

1709667448680.png

1709667390239.png

Attachments

homenvrip

n3wb
Reaction score
"I understand it is possible to use an NVR as well as a Blue Iris VMS on a PC to process the video "
- That is interesting. That would be amazing if it can be used to preprocess the video and then expose the steam to the Lorex NVR. Can anyone chime in on that? would that work with my existing cameras?

"Thus, if you need better AI .. I would look at using something like Blue Iris with an AI add-on. "
- I agree, I do not wanted to be limited by my proprietary / closed NVR.

I guess the question is, can my existing cameras work without the NVR and directly on my network with Blue Iris, or would I need compatible cameras (with AI features)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No what people do is run the NVR as a redundant storage of video and essentially use the NVR as the POE switch to feed the video to BI.

You could send the video from BI to the NVR but that would be terribly inefficient and probably bring the computer to a crawl.

Bi has a free trial so put it on a windows PC and see if it will recognize your cams and NVR.

In BI, you select add camera and put the IP address of the NVR into the IP address location. Put in username and password and hit find/inspect and let BI do its thing.

Then about halfway down is a pull down for Camera number and pick camera 1 and then hit ok. The camera should show up. Then add camera and the select copy and copy this camera and then change the number 1 to a 2 and repeat for your cameras.

OR depending on your NVR, it may populate all the cameras in the main and substream pulldown boxes and you just select a camera number and then add another camera and select the next pulldown.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"I understand it is possible to use an NVR as well as a Blue Iris VMS on a PC to process the video "
- That is interesting. That would be amazing if it can be used to preprocess the video and then expose the steam to the Lorex NVR. Can anyone chime in on that? would that work with my existing cameras?

"Thus, if you need better AI .. I would look at using something like Blue Iris with an AI add-on. "
- I agree, I do not wanted to be limited by my proprietary / closed NVR.

I guess the question is, can my existing cameras work without the NVR and directly on my network with Blue Iris, or would I need compatible cameras (with AI features)
That camera model should work well with Blue Iris VMS and other VMS that can handle ONVIF or Dahua OEM cameras