Best Wireless IP Turret Camera

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
'Best' is obviously subjective here but i was looking to get a Turret camera with IR and I like the HIKVison ones but they dont do a wireless variant.

Can i ask for views on which ones you would recommend and why?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
'Best' is obviously subjective here but i was looking to get a Turret camera with IR and I like the HIKVison ones but they dont do a wireless variant.

There is none...any camera can be made wireless with a wifi bridge....stay away from any wifi...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Best Turret: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Security Cameras and WiFi are mutually exclusive, thats why your not finding any WiFi cameras worth a shit.. they always suck.. Running wires is mandatory, cameras dont run off battery power.. Use Wired Ethernet, next possibly PowerLine Ethernet or P2P Wireless Bridges w/Clear Line of Sight if an ethernet cable is just impossible to deploy.

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive been running wireless camera's - Dlink DCS-2120 for just checking my front door - for years and they worked pretty flawlessly but are clearly not as good as todays modern cameras so forgive me if i disagree with you here as i have found in practice they work fine for my needs. The HikVision Dome wifi works fine as well which i recently installed.

Yes I could think about PoE but lets work on the basis I don't want to run wired ethernet round my house more than i have to - I can wire it up fine and have a reel of it - but having a lot of recent decoration I dont want to disturb it. Powerline adaptors are an option of course but i've found they can be problematical at times (Tp_link ones anway) . Where the cameras will go there are power sockets close by.

Thank you for the feedback ... appreciate it and I will consider it.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Could you explain more in detail what you're wanting out of the camera are you wanting it for security reasons to get facial IDs? are you wanting it to just check in ? Will it be indoors or outdoors ? It's hard to answer your question without any detail to it .

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sure...

Facial recognition meaning it recognises people and identifies them or its just good enough to make faces out well? Its the latter.

rear of the house is pitch black with no lighting other than some LED floodlight with low lumens which is only on back door. So would want something to pick up those who are lurking outside the field of the PIR of the floodlight - maybe 20 foot out -

Front has street lights shining on drive so using IR wont add much there but the lighting is not great so something to work well in low light non-IR would be good... max distance maybe 15 foot ...

outdoors

want it to have smart events - dont need 24x7 recording just event handling..

That help?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sure...

Facial recognition meaning it recognises people and identifies them or its just good enough to make faces out well? Its the latter.

rear of the house is pitch black with no lighting other than some LED floodlight with low lumens which is only on back door. So would want something to pick up those who are lurking outside the field of the PIR of the floodlight - maybe 20 foot out -

Front has street lights shining on drive so using IR wont add much there but the lighting is not great so something to work well in low light non-IR would be good... max distance maybe 15 foot ...

outdoors

want it to have smart events - dont need 24x7 recording just event handling..

That help?

Do you have a budget ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wireless does not scale though, most people's top of the line wireless networks fall apart after 2 HD cameras are streaming 24/7/365.. There's only so much HD video you can simulcast over WiFi, If your just using it for checking on things you might get away with it, but its not a security system.. its a webcam with intermittent use; totally different.

once you hook em up to a NVR/Recorder thats streaming from the camera 24/7/365 you require a network connection that is solid and individual, not shared and susceptible to external interference.. or you'll just have more dropouts than is reasonable while you jam your wifi throughput for the devices that really need to be on wireless.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
from what you told me you need in a camera, I would agree with what is posted above and get the starlight from dahua. However I know your looking for something easy to setup and install. You already have a lot of challenges here, example your backyard you said it's almost pitch black, Its going to be super hard to get good facial ID without extra lighting at night. You have a lot of low light areas your trying to monitor, which low light is a nightmare for most cameras. Also as many have already said wifi is really hard to use on a camera, with all the disclaimers out of the way I couldn't find a turret hikvision wifi camera not saying they don't make them , just saying I couldn't find one to buy . Here is what I could find it's not a turret, but is wifi and I'm sure you will need to add tons more lighting if you want facial ID . Again super hard to find any turret with wifi I couldn't find one. I'm sure you won't find something like this Off a site like Amazon.

First pick cuz it's wifi and poe

Hikvision Full HD 1080P 2MP wireless wifi IP PTZ Network Camera DS 2DC2204IW DE3/W with audio&alarm interface wi if camara poe-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This one would be terrible at night cuz of the dome but you want wifi

Hikvision Wifi Wireless IP Camaera DS 2CD2142FWD IWS Updatable 4MP H264 POE Outdoor Audio Alarm Dome Security CCTV IP Camera-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good feedback folks ..

My budget would be about $200 per camera - My front is covered with the HIK 2142 mentioned above Ryan and its ok BUT you cant use IR due to Dome as its picking up glare off the low lumens street lighting - so its somewhat restricted as discussed. I was considering replacing it with a turret one , moving the dome one somewhere else , and I genuinely couldn't find any so I will review the one you mention above the 2204.

Im honestly not looking for a NVR type of system - describing it as a Webcam on steroids might be a better description for my purposes as you allude to Nayr. So no - not a security system per se.

Im happy with just 2 camera's front and back of house so again I think wifi would be fine for that. if I was recording the stream 24x7 then i'd go wired and proper NVR .

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you protect the camera from the elements? they make a WiFi version of the Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN) but its not all-weather rated.. mine's on covered patio for almost a year now w/out missing a beat... If you put a SD card into it you can get the last 24H recorded at high quality, or a few days at lower quality so you have some sort of recording and then just fire up the stream as you need it.

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sadly no - these will be wall mounted with no cover above them ....

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your really limiting what you can do with that $200 per cam then; because of the problems w/WiFi and Security none of the serious manufacturers give it much attention.. they might put it in a few consumer grade devices or you can really overpay for some cheap junk that wont perform anywhere near as well as you'd of got out a wired connection..

Ive yet to see an outdoor rated, consumer wifi camera that was not overpriced junk in comparison to what you can get from commercial video surveillance equipment.

Even with just a couple of WebCams on Steroids you'll be better off with wired PoE, all metal cameras that will last for years w/out hassle.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
your really limiting what you can do with that $200 per cam then; because of the problems w/WiFi and Security none of the serious manufacturers give it much attention.. they might put it in a few consumer grade devices or you can really overpay for some cheap junk that wont perform anywhere near as well as you'd of got out a wired connection..

Ive yet to see an outdoor rated, consumer wifi camera that was not overpriced junk in comparison to what you can get from commercial video surveillance equipment.

Even with just a couple of WebCams on Steroids you'll be better off with wired PoE, all metal cameras that will last for years w/out hassle.

Agree and remember we are here to help, but I think it will be more of hassle trying to find a Wi-Fi okay camera that fits your needs, rather then just run one simple wire and having double reliability and having a great camera, your budget will get you a bad ass poe camera

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Says outdoor wifi 200m WTF that means
200m of Wifi? Yeah I somehow doubt it as well.....my 2142 cant see the wifi at the middle of the house and i had ot put a sperate access point in closer to it at the front...

So IP67 and 68 I thought were to do with submerging the things in water - would continuous rain be the same? Possibly i guess so IP68 woud be better..

trying to do/get as much info from the experts here before i do any buying... the HIK 2142 is ok but i know i could have made a better choice... (and yes I thought i had researched cameras before i bought it!)