Best way to stream video feeds from 5216 NVR to another display across the house

Nolesfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking for the best way to stream the video feeds from my NVR across the house to a display monitor without using HDMI baluns. Any suggestions? My cameras are all powered/plugged directly into the NVR so there is a different subnet of IP addresses for my cameras from my typical IP addresses of my devices.

myy

n3wb
Reaction score
Isnt the only output on the 5216 an HDMI? If so, I cant think of another way other than just a long HDMI cable. Why not use a balun? Unless someone else has ideas, I think a balun type solution may be your best option..

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you will have to convert the HDMI output to transmit it to the other side of the house (at least reliably). You can use a "HDMI to network cable" converter, or you might look into converting the "HDMI to SDI" and running the signal over an RG-6 cable. The SDI route is probably more reliable, but also requires that you can run the RG-6 cable between the two devices. Personally I'd look at the Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converters. They are relatively inexpensive and very reliable.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you will have to convert the HDMI output to transmit it to the other side of the house (at least reliably).
I use an old clamshell windows pc as a monitor. It runs SmartPSS to display the live view. I use WiFi to connect to the NVR lan.
Free, since I used ancient stuff in my hardware graveyard.
The monitor could be placed anywhere, not just in places where coax & balun might be located.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
hdmi baluns, or Tiny Cam Pro on an android tv device. you will be able to view the cams, but thats about it. may work for you if you cant or unable to run cat 6 or hdmi cables to other locations in the house.