Best way to stream from a ip camera (with 4g router) to a website (embed player)

rogerfor

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I need to find out, if there is any other alternative (better and cheaper) to do this.

Diagrama sin título.drawio.png

What I need is to, in a website, embed the stream from a remote ip camera, using a 4g router, and mikrotik with vpn, to a pfsense server.
This works, but its kinda expensive (ovh vps ($60), ipcamlive ($50 (per camera)) 4g internet plan ($60) )

So, dont know if any you, knows a better way to to this?
I really appreciate any help.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Well you'll certainly need an internet or cellular provider at each site, so that is a cost you cannot avoid.

However most IP cameras will stream their feed over on RTSP connection. You can use free software like VLC Media Player to play that stream without using the camera's web interface (where a user would also have access to the camera settings). You also don't need to pay for a VPN service. You can set up a self hosted VPN connection (either as a client/server type connection or a full time VPN tunnel) on one of the routers/firewall and connect to it using the other box .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Or use OBS (also free) software to stream to YouTube; it can accept a camera's RTSP stream (if the camera cannot provide RTMP itself) and convert the stream to RTMP as needed by YouTube.

There are many IP cameras available than can stream directly to YT using RTMP, no computer and software needed.

YT is free and you can embed the video's URL in the web page.

Some recent posts regarding streaming directly from camera to YouTube:

Last edited:

rogerfor

n3wb
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Or use OBS (also free) software to stream to YouTube; it can accept a camera's RTSP stream (if the camera cannot provide RTMP itself) and convert the stream to RTMP as needed by YouTube.

There are many IP cameras available than can stream directly to YT using RTMP, no computer and software needed.

YT is free and you can embed the video's URL in the web page.

Some recent posts regarding streaming directly from camera to YouTube:

The problem with this, its that I need 24/7 streaming, and could take a couple months (the project its to record a building construction)
Dont know if youtube can handle months of livestreaming

rogerfor

n3wb
Reaction score
Well you'll certainly need an internet or cellular provider at each site, so that is a cost you cannot avoid.

However most IP cameras will stream their feed over on RTSP connection. You can use free software like VLC Media Player to play that stream without using the camera's web interface (where a user would also have access to the camera settings). You also don't need to pay for a VPN service. You can set up a self hosted VPN connection (either as a client/server type connection or a full time VPN tunnel) on one of the routers/firewall and connect to it using the other box .
The problem with this, is that I need laptop/pc 24/7 to do this, and where I live, doesnt have an public IP option to do the self hosted vpn

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A camera with RTMP can stream to platforms without the need to use a second device to encode to RTMP.
RTMP is not RTSP.

Take this video example:

Or Axis cameras have a plugin available. The plugin can overlay weather information or image ads.