best way to setup further from house

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what would be the reccomended way to install cams further away from the house? i was thinking about 150-250 feet away.i want to install about 2 or 3 in the driveway spot.

kk.jpg

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
With a power outlet already there, I'd try an IP cam running on a powerline adapter for LAN connection plus either a 12v wall wart or PoE injector for power. 12v wall wart should be the cheapest way to power it though. I don't know if there are any powerline adapters that also supply PoE so it's a two part solution. If you need more than one cam, plug a PoE switch into the powerline adapter and the cams into the switch. If you don't have any luck with a powerline adapter, after that a Ubiquiti wifi bridge is a lot cheaper than trenching unless the power to the lamp post is in conduit and you can easily get Cat 5 out there.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
$103? Cheaper for a two part solution. There are lots of cheap weatherproof boxes available at electrical supply houses for fairly little money if you don't mind grey plastic or going through the effort to disguise them.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how many feet can i extend the cat 6 cable? also which ubuiti antenna is best on the budget for my project?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The Cat 5 and 6 standard is 100m. You can sometimes get a fair bit more than that but you can't count on it. Even if you're lucky enough to have conduit running out to the post you'd be running the data line next to the power which isn't recommended (might go through the trouble and find out that the AC power cable futzes up the data on the UTP). If you're lucky and don't mind the time fishing the wire it might be worth a try. I've never done a long run parallel to AC power so I don't know what the odds of success are. Trenching separate conduit for the data line out to the post would make the cost of powerline adapters or Nanostations seem almost free, especially if you have to cross concrete or asphalt, although if you did that I'd probably run 4 lines for the 2 or 3 cameras so you'd have a spare or two and be able to mount the PoE switch in the house out of the weather. I'd probably try the powerline adapter route first and get a weatherproof box out at the pole. Get them paired in the house and then plug one out at the pole and see if they connect. If they don't, try plugging the one in the house into a few different outlets.

If you're a tractor guy, a single tine 3pt subsoiler is easily adapted into a cable or pipe layer so you could do your own if it just in dirt and save paying someone else an arm and a leg to do it. Don't forget to use burial grade cable and surge protectors.

Ubiquiti M5 Nanostations can be commonly found for under $60 each and you'd need two to make the bridge. Nanostations run on Ubiquiti's own PoE which isn't compatible with 48v PoE cameras so don't mistakenly plug your camera into the PoE port for the Nanostation. You can toast a camera that way.

edit- here's a link to a pipe/cable layer or you could make your own- http://www.agrisupply.com/point-pipelayer-attachment-fits-single-tine-ripper/p/73622/

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys.i measured by walking to the post.its about 160 feet direct from house. Running wires from house to post looks like I need to trench ground.how far deep down would I need to trench? Putting ubiquiti cat5 wire into PVC is reccomended?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
"Here" on my own property I'd probably do it into heavy grade PVC. Haven't a clue what the code (if any) is where you are, or even WHERE you are. Burial grade wire doesn't require conduit but I might do it just to do it right, and laying PVC (or even just the wire) with a subsoiler is a lot faster than digging a trench. I have a tractor though so that part'd be easy. How deep? I'd be quite happy with a foot for conduit, maybe 4-6" for the plain wire. Again, that's "me" and "here". Haven't a clue what the code says "there" and I'm not a professional cctv guy anyway, although I pretty much have my doctorate in redneck engineering. If someone shows up with an actual certificate in something relevant and voices an opinion then listen to them instead.

Not quite sure what you mean by "Ubiquiti Cat 5 wire" though? Leave out the Ubiquiti and it's just regular old UTP (unshielded twisted pair) which is what Cat 5/6 wire is.

My first choice would be to avoid the hassles/expense of trenching altogether and use the PLAs (power line adapters) unless you have pre-existing conduit (still don't remember a yes or no to that part) and are willing to take the chance that running the cat 5 too close to the AC wires won't bugger things up. Supposed to be 6-8 inch separation or so to avoid problems. The powers that be say no to long parallel runs when right next to each other. You might even pass a charge into the UTP from the AC line and fry something expensive rather than just have unreliable data. Then Nanostations second. Then trenching either whole hog with subsoiler and conduit or a 3pt mounted disk and just burial grade wire. Although I'd usually choose cat 5 somehow as a first choice, in this case it's possibly 3rd choice. Maybe a distant 3rd depending on what kind of yard you'd be ripping up and the difficulty of blending in the conduit and getting it in the house, although trenching bare wire isn't a terrible idea and is a lot easier the first time.

$40 for a pair of decent PLAs, maybe $70 for a PoE switch, $40 for a waterproof project box, some short patch cords, plus your cameras and you're golden with an hour or maybe three of install time depending on how you want to mount your cameras. Easy peasy fast and easy. For Nanostations turn the $40 for PLAs into say $120 and all the other parts and a bunch of time figuring out how to program them. They don't come with directions and I bet the YouTube videos you find won't match what your firmware menus look like (they've changed over the years since most of the videos were put online and the last I checked the new format didn't have matching videos) so it'll take a fair number of hours to get them talking to each other. Not a big deal but it does take time to learn the intent of the videos and adapt it to what your firmware shows. Then the big time, expense, and effort unless you're set up for it- trenching in new cat 5 cable and hoping you don't cut the existing power cable going out there and really getting into a mess, although you might be happy with tucking some burial grade cat 5 just under the sod of your lawn after cutting and prying open a long line with a spade. Jump on the spade, pry open a wedge, move the spade, repeat. Might hit it with the lawnmower after a year or so of frost heaves or might last a looong time if the roots mend quickly and tie it down under. Don't forget to run an extra strand for insurance or futureproofing. Even using a spade try and be sure you don't cut the existing line going out there. Stranger things have happened than have people just tuck unprotected indoor grade 14/2 into the sod and run it out to a lightpost. Best case is you have to replace that line too. Worst case is you get a bad or fatal shock.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks guys.i measured by walking to the post.its about 160 feet direct from house. Running wires from house to post looks like I need to trench ground.how far deep down would I need to trench? Putting ubiquiti cat5 wire into PVC is reccomended?.
Stay away from CCA (Copper-clad aluminium wire). You want solid copper.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I will second the ubiquiti loco m5 nanostations. We have used several hundred in the last two years and they are all still up and running. We have used them to send 10 2MP cameras over 8 miles wit no lag. One is a PTZ and the controls work like its on the local network.