Best way to run wires outside

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All my network gear is in the basement which is unfinished and I'm planning on installing 4-6 cameras outside, what is the best way to run cables?

I'm thinking of drilling a hole from the basement to the attached garage and then run the cables in the soffits.

Option 1: keep the PoE switch in the basement and run all cables from the basement out to the garage. This would mean longer runs from the PoE switch.

Option 2: run a single cable from the basement, mount a PoE switch in the garage for power.

Option 3: keep poe switch in basement and drill a hole in the foundation out the side of the house. This would mean significantly shorter runs for maybe 3 cameras but will need outdoor network cable and seems like the hardest to do as a don't have tools to drill into foundation. The wires will also be exposed if someone wanted to tamper with it.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd do option 1.

Option 3, you don't leave the wires exposed. You run them in PVC conduit.
Yes option 1 seems like the easiest approach and having all my equipment in one location.

I got coax wires exposed when my ISP ran a wire to the basement, why would this be any different if using proper wires?

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With option 3 Jon Snow, you're best using metal conduit tube and if it's Dahua the DH-PFA130-E camera mounts. It'll be pretty dammed safe from tampering then.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I personally would hide as many of the runs as possible, long runs don’t really matter these days if you have the right cams and POE switch. For the remaining where you have to run externally the hide as much as possible and the run within conduit.