Best way to power IR illuminator from POE switch, not using Cat6 and splitter

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions and links to the connectors for the best way to power an IR illuminator from a POE switch. Trying to learn if I can get power from the switch and then convert to a low voltage cable of some type with a barrel connecter on the end. Thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A true 802.3af/at compliant POE switch or injector (both are known as a "PSE") will negotiate with the IP cam/device (the "PD") regarding operation mode and amount of power, so it's not simple or practical to try and "convert to a low voltage" .

IMO, it's best to use a 803.3af/at compliant splitter, in most cases a properly-sized POE-powered 12VDC splitter will power up to 24 watts of IR illumination. I believe some can be had that are to a degree more prepared for exposure to the elements than others.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A true 802.3af/at compliant POE switch or injector (both are known as a "PSE") will negotiate with the IP cam/device (the "PD") regarding operation mode and amount of power, so it's not simple or practical to try and "convert to a low voltage" .

IMO, it's best to use a 803.3af/at compliant splitter, in most cases a properly-sized POE-powered 12VDC splitter will power up to 24 watts of IR illumination. I believe some can be had that are to a degree more prepared for exposure to the elements than others.
Thanks @TonyR, I was afraid of that. If a splitter is the way to go, I'll need to find a splitter that's waterproof.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions and links to the connectors for the best way to power an IR illuminator from a POE switch. Trying to learn if I can get power from the switch and then convert to a low voltage cable of some type with a barrel connecter on the end. Thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
30W poe port. I would use a weatherproof outdoor box:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Check dimensions for whatever splitter you'd use. Started to grab one but not big enough @ ~2..75 long internal to fit the generic splitters/repeaters that I use. I'd need something more toward 5" long by the time plugs and spacing at the ends are counted.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Good call @Mike A., I'm gonna need one I little bit bigger for everything to fit, just like you said.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
These are waterproof but you still need to waterproof the 12v end

ANVISION 2-Pack Active 48V to 12V Waterproof PoE Splitter Adapter, IEEE 802.3af Compliant 10/100Mbps, for IP Camera AP Voip Phone and More, White Amazon.com