Best way to plug 5/8 inch holes from pre-terminated cat5 cable runs?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for that tip about a drip loop. I did not know about that. :facepalm:

And yes, the existing holes are more or less protected from water, fortunately. Not perfect though. I do need to go over everything and tweak things. And I might be forgetting something awful. There's a lot I didn't know when I put these in, and there's a lot I obviously still don't know.

Thanks again, been super helpful!
a drop of di-electric gel in the RJ45 boot also ..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons I use the CRC is because of the applicator: it has a long "snout" to get it down inside a female connector which keeps me from having put on my finger to work the grease down inside it or use a cotton swab, etc.

You get this stuff on your fingers and then transfer it to you eyes you've likely got a problem......it can irritate your eyes SEVERELY.

Also, the dial lets you adjust the diameter of the grease as it is extruded which further allows you to put only the amount needed and only where you want it.

CRC_grease.jpg

Last edited:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
For filling in the hole Bondo would work well but might be a bit pricey just to replace 1 or 2 small holes. I replaced 2 bathroom doors with barn doors and used Bondo to fill in the holes on the frame where I removed the strike plates - this was a hint a contractor gave me.

ryebread

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to using these mounts vs just direct on the side of the house?
For me, these are the benefits, in no particular order:

• Professional look
  • Covers large holes that don‘t need the patch painted
  • Shade and water cover
  • Ease of camera adjustment after mounted

There are probably more, I’m just tired at the moment. My handyman/friend who moved us and is doing the installs of nearly everything for us is working my butt off!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to using these mounts vs just direct on the side of the house?
In addition to the above, any mount that provides protection for the pigtail and a 3/8" hole for the un-terminated CAT-5e/6 (as opposed to a twice as big 5/8" or 3/4" hole to stuff thru the pigtail) is a good thing, IMO.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A little square of drywall tape over the fill, covered by a swipe of drywall mud, will keep the edges of the hole hidden later if the fill shrinks or settles.