Best sealant for cameras

Metallo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have installed the first two cameras outdoor, they are screwed over the vinyl siding and then through the wood of the wall.
Behind the round base of the camera, there is a central hole of 1", where the Ethernet cable and its protection go in the wall.

What is the best way to seal the hole, or maybe, just the the camera base?

I do not like to use silicon, too dirty, especially if I need to disassemble the camera or make some adjustments.

I was thinking to use a grommet for the hole itself, but likely very difficult to find a 1" grommet and overall, very difficult to make it stay in that hole.

Should I only go and seal the camera base, any recommendation that is not silicone?
Winter here are very cold.

Thank you!
Alex

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 to the duct seal @TonyR mentioned. If the junction box sits on a flat surface that is not exposed to water, you night not need any added protection. There have been several occasions where I wished the junction boxes had a grommet for the back available. Similar to the one provided on the faceplate. Never think of shopping for 'em until I need one.

1685988822934.png

Metallo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback.

Just for clarity, I post a couple of pictures for you to better understand what I mean.

IMG_20230605_203221.jpg
IMG_20230605_203252.jpg

I was wondering: Is there anything preventing me from using:

IMG_20230605_205908.jpg

It works on sinks, and the cameras are made of metal, very easy to work with.
At least the 1" hole behind the camera should work.

Is the duct seal sold also in white color?

Thank you!
Alex

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt that the plumber's putty would last long what with the ozone and increased UV; it's likely not meant for outdoors and would soon dry up and crumble.

I would unscrew the camera mount from the siding, use the duct seal I linked to plug the hole by surrounding the cable like a donut, re-install the camera mount....done. It's completely under the mount so only YOU will know it's not white! :cool:

Metallo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL, true about the color.

For whatever reason, the cable notch of those cameras is always on the top of the plate, so should heavy rain come, it will go through the notch and down to the cable.

This is the reason why I also want to seal the notch and around the camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL, true about the color.

For whatever reason, the cable notch of those cameras is always on the top of the plate, so should heavy rain come, it will go through the notch and down to the cable.

This is the reason why I also want to seal the notch and around the camera.
Those plates can be rotated so that the notch is on the bottom.
Under that eave, I would be surprised if the rain got forceful enough to get that far but...I would dismount the cam and fill where the pigtail goes into the camera with clear, outdoor-rated, non-gassing silicone sealant/ caulk. It'll dry clear and won't be sticky.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Metallo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what I thought too, but unfortunately those plates cannot be rotated, the notches are all on top.

I was looking for something easier to remove than silicone, but if there is nothing else, I will have to use it.

So I could use the duct seal for the hole in the wood, then silicone around the camera because not only I want to prevent any water to go in the camera, but also between the vinyl and the sealing paper which protects the wood.

Thank you for your help!

Alex

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
......unfortunately those plates cannot be rotated, the notches are all on top.
What about the first image in your post #4?

From page 2 of the Lorex QSG:

Lorex_LNB4173.jpg

1) Loosen the screw.
2) Grip flange (part with the screw holes) in one hand, rotate part that had the screw you loosened until the slot in that part moves from bottom or top to one side...that way you can "pan" the cam left or right; rotate the slot to top or bottom to "Tilt"; move about 45 degrees to get a little of both pan L & R and a little tilt up & down; rotate cam (part B) as suitable.
3) When you're happy with the alignment, tighten the screw.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The proper way to have mounted the cam on siding, would to have used the proper junction box for the camera, that would have alleviated the problems with sealing up things.
Then you could have only had a 3/8" hole in the house, and just passed unterminated ethernet cable through that hole and into the junction box.
Then it would have been easy to seal up the hole in the house.
Then you would have had the ethernet connection in the junction box.

Also, you should have mounted that camera down an inch or so lower on the siding so as to have avoided the gap at the slope in the siding.

And yes, those base's can be rotated. Might take a little actual effort, but it designed that way.

Metallo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wish I'd found that drawing before.
I was able to rotate the plate, you have to completely remove the screw and then you can force the plate to rotate, you hear clicks every small rotation.

I wanted to go down 1" on the siding, but unfortunately the screws would have ended right between two wooden planks, so I had no choice other than moving them up.

For the hole I will use the duct seal.
If only Lorex would also add rubber seals in the box, that would have been perfect.

I still have to put on many cameras, I will do better with the others, experience is growing!

Thank you all,
Alex