Best quality PoE splitter/adapter recommendation

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I currently use Active PoE splitters to allow me to use one ethernet wire to power the camera and IR illuminator at each location. My problem is the PoE adapters I'm using seem to be glitchy and don't provide steady connectivity. I'm looking for suggestions to try that are higher quality than the ones I use shown below. Here's a diagram of my configuration at each location. Thanks!

1655858753003.png

1655858694207.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a couple. I've used the top one, previously, with no problems but have done away with splitters and used dedicated 16/2 or 18/2 wiring for IR illuminator power. Watch the total power draw of the camera and the IR, too, both in terms of the splitter capabilities and the port of your PoE switch capabilities. As with everything YMMV.

PoE Splitter

PoE Splitter/Extender

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently use Active PoE splitters to allow me to use one ethernet wire to power the camera and IR illuminator at each location. My problem is the PoE adapters I'm using seem to be glitchy and don't provide steady connectivity. I'm looking for suggestions to try that are higher quality than the ones I use shown below. Here's a diagram of my configuration at each location. Thanks!

View attachment 131384

View attachment 131382
According to the specs on amazon, that unit rated 1A / 15.4W (@12VDC).
What is the total current drawn by your cam and the IR emitter?
Is the cam's IR LEDs also enabled to come on when needed?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! In hindsight, I should have run 16/2 to each location when I wired all the low voltage wiring during the build.

The camera is a Dahua 5442 and I don't use the onboard IR. Dahua spec says <7.2 watts.
The IR illuminator is rated at 10 watts.

Based on these specs, what do you recommend?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The first one I listed will, technically, do the job. It is rated at 2 amps or 24 watts. Your load is 17.2 watts which exceeds the rating of the splitter you have.

Another comment is that these splitters aren't the best in the world and are probably being optimistically rated.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The first one I listed will, technically, do the job. It is rated at 2 amps or 24 watts. Your load is 17.2 watts which exceeds the rating of the splitter you have.

Another comment is that these splitters aren't the best in the world and are probably being optimistically rated.
Makes sense, I'm probably exceeding the wattage. I'll order a couple and test them out.