Best push option for 2023

staind204

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I have my cameras set up and running in the latest stable version of BI available. At this point, I have them running "Continuously + Trigger" and am using code project AI to analyze the images. Right now it is saving the "high resolution pictures" to BI Alerts folder. I still need to tinker with the motion detection settings however that will be for another day.

My ultimate goal is to receive a push notification to my phone or email as well as uploading the alert clip to the cloud (incase someone breaks in and steals the BI PC). However for right now I am focused on simply getting an alert. I have read through several posts about the "pushover" app however I have also seen people say you can just have BI email you the alert. Since I get push alerts from Gmail, an email may work fine. What are the various "push" methods available in 2023 and which do you prefer? Does a push notification only send a picture (no clip) and you still need to log into BI server to view it? Does it send a link you can just click on to view that timeframe within BI? I have VPN set up so I can access the BI server remotely, no problem. This is the last key part of my setup so any help or info is appreciated. Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you use the BI paid App, you only get images when on the LAN or if you happen to be VPNd in. So if you are out and about and not connected via VPN, then all you get is a push with the time and camera name.

Pushover sends an image whether you are on LAN or not. It can be sent via email or API.

SMS/Text is the least desirable as every mobile provider is tightening their spam algorithms, so every mobile provider goes thru spells where you don't get the text alerts.

Or if your email push works, go with that. Most don't use that as they get so many other emails that it becomes background noise.

staind204

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks..Pushover it is then. Seems to work and will be more reliable.

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
100% Pushover - I've had it for years, and it never lets me down. Not only do I Pushover from BI but also my Home Assistant instance, Node Red and a few other bits, works great with groups of phones and is very easy to use and customise.

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Couple of screenshots from the Pushover web interface and BI alert config. The CURL string I use is below with a few bit redacted

Code:
https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=XXXXXXXmytokenXXXXXXXXXX" --form-string  "user=zzzzzzzmyuserzzzzzzzzz" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO - <a href='https://myhostname.duckdns.org/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Image</a> - <a href='https://myhostname.duckdns.org/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>Video</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=MyS22,WifesS21" -F "attachment=@F:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"
1683801561047.png1683801629022.png1683801810213.png