Best path NVR vs software

rootdet

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for feedback on the suggested path for my home setup. At home I currently have a mix of Wbox and hikvision cameras which total about 6 now. I have a plan to install another 3-5 cameras. Currently, they are all live view with no recording as I have yet to get to that part.

I am looking to see if I should buy an nvr or go software based like blue iris. From a previous life, I have 5 x 4 TB WD Purple hard drives sitting in boxes brand new, which leans me towards wanting to setup and tackle blueiris.

I am looking to spend probably no more than $6ooish on the solution and know that $1k feels too much for storage. I do want to try and not soak up the savings in the light bill either to run the video recording.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which path I should take? If so, what kind of hardware (nvr, computer, etc) should I use? I am happy to build a PC from scratch, that certainly is not a problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for feedback on the suggested path for my home setup. At home I currently have a mix of Wbox and hikvision cameras which total about 6 now. I have a plan to install another 3-5 cameras. Currently, they are all live view with no recording as I have yet to get to that part.

I am looking to see if I should buy an nvr or go software based like blue iris. From a previous life, I have 5 x 4 TB WD Purple hard drives sitting in boxes brand new, which leans me towards wanting to setup and tackle blueiris.

I am looking to spend probably no more than $6ooish on the solution and know that $1k feels too much for storage. I do want to try and not soak up the savings in the light bill either to run the video recording.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which path I should take? If so, what kind of hardware (nvr, computer, etc) should I use? I am happy to build a PC from scratch, that certainly is not a problem.
There are many threads discussing this very subject...dont build your own, its way cheaper to buy...search..