Best low light poe camera without spotlights

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks good but can you get it with IR? I don't have a street light
You could add your own permanently on (dusk to dawn sensor) wall light with a low level LED bulb eg 5-8w and then a separate sensor spotlight to reinforce it if triggered. That's what I did but I'm not trying to capture a long way away. The DOF is quite shallow on the 4K series though and 5442 probably a bit more mature as a camera. More versatility for long range capture with IR in low light.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So maybe I'm an idiot, but where do you buy these cameras? Can't find them

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I got the 5442 today and hooked it up on my hikvision nvr and it worked for about an hour. When I log into the cam it's on and working. Thr nvr shows it's on and connected. I cannot get a live view anymore. Tries to connect then playback error. Anyone know how to get this working again?

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone use the 2231 anymore? That is my favorite camera. I have a couple 5442's but I like the 2231 better because it sees great in the dark and uses low bandwidth.

Reaction score
First, this forum is awesome. Yall helped me tune my LPR and its amazing. Now I need something that has a full view of my hard to compliment the zoomed in darkfighter LPR.

I'm about 95 feet from the street. Only lighting is 5 landscaping uprights along my house. No street lights or neighbor lights. So it's dark.

I read about the 4k-x with the 1/1.2 cmos, however, it seems that has a white led spotlight on it. I don't want to Illuminate my yard like that at night even as beneficial as it might seem. Is there a way to get good clear video at night without the spotlight?

I have an old hikvision 4mp ir camera, but it gets so black and white at night you can't see detail. I watched my daughter's bike get stolen out of my yard and couldn't come close to figuring out who did it. Reason for the LPR I have now.
speed test omegle gucci
Looking for something that gets good night detail in a very low light situation without a bright spotlight. Ir is ok if it looks good.
you wont find too many cameras that will give you good detail AND cover the whole area out to 95ft. If little ambient light your choices are to put white light on the target area or live with IR/B&W. The 5442 series is the go-to for that

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone use the 2231 anymore? That is my favorite camera. I have a couple 5442's but I like the 2231 better because it sees great in the dark and uses low bandwidth.
2231 is a great camera, but the 5442 series has passed it by quite handily in every regard. Technology on these cameras, at least since I began playing withn them in 2016. changes fairly substantially every 18-24 months. The 2231 is what? 6+ years old?