best, long lasting micro SD card in 2021?

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i see my POE IP cams has a microSD card slot. what's the best card on the market?
assuming the card records 24/7, will this permanently damage the card within a month?

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 2 cameras using microSD card for 2 years now. One records 24/7 and the other motion only. Both still working fine right now. One is Samsung EVo plus 256 GB, the other is SanDisk 128GB Extreme. Another old cam with SanDisk microSD card record on motion only lasted around 5 years before it goes bad. I've also heard Samsung PRO Endurance microSD card last longer than the one mention above. But haven't got the chance to try those yet.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2 cameras using microSD card for 2 years now. One records 24/7 and the other motion only. Both still working fine right now. One is Samsung EVo plus 256 GB, the other is SanDisk 128GB Extreme. Another old cam with SanDisk microSD card record on motion only lasted around 5 years before it goes bad. I've also heard Samsung PRO Endurance microSD card last longer than the one mention above. But haven't got the chance to try those yet.
thanks! let me try these sd cards then

Ace844

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are many of the members using 512MB or higher capacity cards successfully?

elwood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i see my POE IP cams has a microSD card slot. what's the best card on the market?
assuming the card records 24/7, will this permanently damage the card within a month?
The Samsung Pro Endurance line looks like it's designed for long-term continuous writing. A side note: I would avoid amazon for all SD cards. The rumor is that they mix inventory with their third-party sellers, or even amazon's own inventory chain is tainted, and lots of reports of people receiving fake cards. I stick with brick and mortar stores or samsung.com, bestbuy.com, walmart.com, staples.com, etc.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
All memory will regardless of the brand or technology used will at some point fail. The current marketing term companies use is High Endurance to denote they are designed for continuous and extended writes such as a Dash Cam / CCTV. Any memory that doesn't indicate they are made to be used for Dash Cam's should not be considered. Regardless, I've been using the following models from SanDisk since their initial release with great success and no failures to date.

The first iteration was called High Endurance and offer two to five years warranty based on the capacity selected:
The next generation of so called high endurance memory offered by SanDisk are the Industrial versions. They offer ECC, Wear Leveling, and Power buffering while also offering a lifetime warranty on the same and obviously can be used for continuous use. These cards are installed exclusively in all of the mission critical, harsh environments, and hard to reach installations. You won't find any of the larger capacities on Amazon that exceed 16GB. The 128 ~ 512GB can be purchased from an authorized reseller but are crazy expansive:
The high endurance cards are now in their second generation and SanDisk markets it as Max Endurance. These cards offer a standard ten year warranty on the 128GB versions. As of this writing they are a little more expansive than the High Endurance flavors but that's probably worth the extra eight years of warranty coverage! It's obvious the product is more robust and uses the latest technology to allow such long warranty coverage.

As always regardless of any edge recording you're doing security video needs to be stored in multiple locations. At the edge, local, and off site to ensure that data is secure and accessible when and if needed.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @Teken, useful post.

The max endurance is double the cost of the high endurance on Amazon UK. Given the way the price of this stuff moves I'm thinking I'll probably just go for high endurance and buy new ones in a few years or even fresh ones if I upgrade the cams in the next few years. Doubt these cams will be up for 10 years!

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @Teken, useful post.

The max endurance is double the cost of the high endurance on Amazon UK. Given the way the price of this stuff moves I'm thinking I'll probably just go for high endurance and buy new ones in a few years or even fresh ones if I upgrade the cams in the next few years. Doubt these cams will be up for 10 years!
The Sandisk High Endurance do offer the best value per GB / dollar for sure. I’d suggest you add the other ones to your Amazon wish list so their system can track any sales or price drops.

During the 2021 X-MAS / Black Friday period Amazon had several vendors listing the Max Endurance spanning 32 ~ 128GB within $5.XX over the high endurance version!

They had a limit of two per order but I was able to scoop up a dozen of them with the help of a few good folks.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Samsung evo select 256gb for $26.99 right now at Amazon? Will it last outdoors?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
The Samsung Pro Endurance line looks like it's designed for long-term continuous writing. A side note: I would avoid amazon for all SD cards. The rumor is that they mix inventory with their third-party sellers, or even amazon's own inventory chain is tainted, and lots of reports of people receiving fake cards. I stick with brick and mortar stores or samsung.com, bestbuy.com, walmart.com, staples.com, etc.
Agree with this reco. After a lot of testing in many cams, these are the ones I recommend and personally use in any deployment requiring local SD card caps.

hajalie24

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Samsung evo select 256gb for $26.99 right now at Amazon? Will it last outdoors?
I bought a bunch of those because of the same deal, though I don't think I will use it for 24/7 recording, just motion alerts so I am not as concerned by the potential longevity.

Reaction score

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perhaps it's "risk sharing". Given a failure rate, the cost of warranty for that duration would make the product pricier than most people would be willing to pay.
Five years warranty signals it is a decent product, and still priced attractively.
Will do nicely for my new cams.