Best IR location for BI/DS

NinjaLars

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to BI as well.
First of all: Thank you all for contributing here! Without this forum I would still be stumbling in the dark trying to find good info.

I'm getting false alarms from bugs and spiders on some of my cameras and from what I can see it's because they are directly lit up by the IR and shines very bright.

Has anyone tried external IR and mounted it below the camera and what was the results?

Would it affect the performance of deep stack? Negative effects?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Mounting external IR away from the camera is what I’d consider best practice. Yes, that will definitely help keep the bugs away from the camera at night.

It won’t impact anything else.

WimNL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mounting external IR away from the camera is what I’d consider best practice. Yes, that will definitely help keep the bugs away from the camera at night.

It won’t impact anything else.
And what would be a good distance between the cam and the ir?
With my 5442 I don't have that problem, but the 2431 doesn't have the adjustment, so an external ir is the solution.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say that depends on the power of the auxiliary IR. I have one that's 10 feet from the nearest camera but it's a 30 watt flood for the whole back yard. The 7 watt units are a couple of feet away from the camera they're supporting.